The value of a club's Academy

Carl Sagan

A piece from Squawka showing the last Academy graduate to break through at each of the Premier League clubs:

http://www.squawka.com/news/the-last-academy-graduate-to-break-through-at-each-premier-league-club/657058#!squawka-gallery-1/656823/19/Screen-Shot-2016-04-29-at-11.30.39.png

Our very own Ryan Shotton is apparently the most recent player to come through the Academy at Stoke and play at least 10 games for them!!

I would say the higher up the pyramid you go, the harder it is to bring young players through. But if we do manage to get promoted, it gives us the option to loan some of our young stars out to decent Championship clubs. Though thinking about that, I was struck after the Brighton game that James Wilson probably began the season significantly above Marcus Rashford in the Old Trafford pecking order.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is imperative we have a core of academy players within our ranks, look at Man Utd youth set up that progressed into the first team together, Scholes, Butt, Neville's, Giggs , they can't buy this togetherness now, playing all those games in the academy with each other is priceless.

Archived