Jerome Champagne's proposals for football if FIFA president

rynny

Are you suggesting that sides should get the same punishment for illegally preventing goals as though it's just a standard foul? 

I'm suggesting cards are issued in relation to the seriousness of the offence.

Any foul in the penalty area these days seem to be a yellow card, why?

All I am suggesting is that football heads back to the days when red cards were a rarity and only issued for the most serious offences. Not being common place because it makes it more exciting for tv viewers.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm suggesting cards are issued in relation to the seriousness of the offence.

Any foul in the penalty area these days seem to be a yellow card, why?

All I am suggesting is that football heads back to the days when red cards were a rarity and only issued for the most serious offences. Not being common place because it makes it more exciting for tv viewers.

Under the laws of the game, denial of a goalscoring opportunity is one of the most serious offences, as it should be. 

I'm unsure why you're talking about other cards though. 

Under the laws of the game, denial of a goalscoring opportunity is one of the most serious offences, as it should be. 

I'm unsure why you're talking about other cards though. 

Because the fact that you get a yellow card for next to nothing means reds are now also issued for offences that would not have even been bookings 20 years ago

Because the fact that you get a yellow card for next to nothing means reds are now also issued for offences that would not have even been bookings 20 years ago

Your misgivings about when cards are given isn't really related to denial of a goalscoring opportunity. 

Your misgivings about when cards are given isn't really related to denial of a goalscoring opportunity. I

In my opinion it is but we will obviously not agree so not much point discussing

What is required from FIFA, if we can't disband them altogether and start again, is competent, transparent, cost effective administration.

When they've got that right, then maybe they can listen to some proposals for changing the laws, until then lets leave the football alone and concentrate on removing the corruption, incompetence, cronyism and general stench from the offices of the world's favourite sport.

Anyone who's had anything to do with the previous regime should be barred from taking ay part in future. Clean slate.

What was your point exactly? He rammed him off the ball to deny a goalscoring opportunity, a clear red and it should be one. 

If it was a netball match you may have a point.

Netball is actually quite vicious from what I've seen. 

Are you saying it shouldn't have been a foul, or shouldn't have been a red? 

Was not a foul in my opinion.

Even if he has decided it is a foul, how would Fletcher have a goal scoring opportunity with the ball in the goalkeepers hands?!

Was not a foul in my opinion.

Even if he has decided it is a foul, how would Fletcher have a goal scoring opportunity with the ball in the goalkeepers hands?!

From what I saw he probably would have made it to that ball without the foul on him. 

Yes, it was a foul. He literally pushed him over with no attempt to play the ball. 

From what I saw he probably would have made it to that ball without the foul on him. 

Yes, it was a foul. He literally pushed him over with no attempt to play the ball. 

Difference of opinion again I'm afraid.

25 years ago not even a foul

20 years ago obstruction no penalty, no yellow card

15 years ago penalty, no yellow card

Today penalty and red card

Difference of opinion again I'm afraid.

25 years ago not even a foul

20 years ago obstruction no penalty, no yellow card

15 years ago penalty, no yellow card

Today penalty and red card

40 years ago a two footed lunge could be considered a good tackle, the past isn't all that rosy. 

Also, he was pushed, it would never have been called obstruction unless you're insinuating that referees of the past were worse than today. 

Also, denial of a goal scoring opportunity has been considered to be a red card offence and serious foul play for about 25+ years at this point, and the debating about it went back to 35 years ago.  

Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce says the rule that sees a player sent off after conceding a penalty should be changed.

His side benefited from Robert Madley's decision to award them a spot-kick and show Fabricio Coloccini red for a push on Steven Fletcher in the 3-0 win over Newcastle.

"It's the rules sadly. I think a penalty is enough," he told BBC Sport.

"It's a foul and only a penalty. Our fans wouldn't agree but as a football man I'd like to see the rule changed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34632766

Pretty fair that from Sam, will realise that this rule will work against his side as well at times. 

For me a booking and penalty would be enough, only a red if a dangerous tackle. When you think of all the penalties awarded and players sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity, how many would have gone on to score? still got to beat the keeper, you've gained an advantage already by going 1 on 1 with the keeper who has to stay on the line. Learn to hit the top corners and you've scored. No need to send the player off.

40 years ago a two footed lunge could be considered a good tackle, the past isn't all that rosy. 

Also, he was pushed, it would never have been called obstruction unless you're insinuating that referees of the past were worse than today. 

Also, denial of a goal scoring opportunity has been considered to be a red card offence and serious foul play for about 25+ years at this point, and the debating about it went back to 35 years ago.  

Well even the manager of the team that benefited from the decision agrees with me!

Well even the manager of the team that benefited from the decision agrees with me!

What part exactly? The decision itself, the laws of the game or something else? 

Equally, why does it matter exactly? A lot of managers just say things to seem humble, and Big Sam is hardly the exception. What would be interesting is if the referee himself or the FA state that the decision was incorrect. 

What part exactly? The decision itself, the laws of the game or something else? 

Equally, why does it matter exactly? A lot of managers just say things to seem humble, and Big Sam is hardly the exception. What would be interesting is if the referee himself or the FA state that the decision was incorrect. 

He said a penalty would have sufficed. Not a dangerous challenge so no need for a red card.

Good joke!

As stated on this, or another, thread, I have still not heard anyone state that the referee made an horrendous cock up in the Wolves away match last season. Why? Because the FA/officials are answerable to nobody.

He said a penalty would have sufficed. Not a dangerous challenge so no need for a red card.

Good joke!

As stated on this, or another, thread, I have still not heard anyone state that the referee made an horrendous cock up in the Wolves away match last season. Why? Because the FA/officials are answerable to nobody.

It has literally nothing to do with the challenge being dangerous or not, how has that not sunk in exactly? 

Newcastle have appealed, so the question for them is whether they consider it to be denial of a goalscoring opportunity. It's quite possible it'll be successful if they can argue that properly. 

It has literally nothing to do with the challenge being dangerous or not, how has that not sunk in exactly? 

Newcastle have appealed, so the question for them is whether they consider it to be denial of a goalscoring opportunity. It's quite possible it'll be successful if they can argue that properly. 

I thought my point was that I do not think that these sort of incidents should just be a straight red card...or has that not sunk in yet?

Particularly liked this quote:-

"It's the rules sadly. I think a penalty is enough,"

"It's a foul and only a penalty. Our fans wouldn't agree but as a football man I'd like to see the rule changed."

Archived