Asian Cup 2015, Australia

Albert

Uzbekistan 3-1 Saudi Arabia

China 2-1 DPRK

Saudi Arabia are out, Uzbekistan are through. The first confirmed quarter finals are:

Korea v Uzbekistan

Australia v China

Next up:

Iran v UAE

Qatar v Bahrain

Iran and UAE are already through, but the winner takes top spot of the group. In the case of a draw, it's the UAE who will take top spot.

Still no draws in the tournament.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game by the UAE, lacked a cutting edge though. If they do end up getting Japan, I would back them to give them a bit of a scare. They were a bit unlucky with the result, most days that'd have been a draw or a win for them, but not today. Ultimately though:

Iran 1-0 UAE

Qatar 1-2 Bahrain

Still no draws.

Now, strangely enough, all the teams are still in for the last group. The matches are:

Japan v Jordan

Iraq v Palestine

I'll draw something describing the possible scenarios.

Iran will play the runners up in Group D, UAE play the winners of Group D.

Okay, so the table sorting rules for the Asian Cup favour results between teams over outright goal difference. This leads to the interesting situation where a Jordanian win over Japan may well still send them home. A Jordanian win, and an Iraqi win by 4 or more goals (whether this sends Japan home or not is down to another sorting rule, which I'll get to in a moment), or even just a Jordanian win by two or more goals and any Iraqi Victory will actually send Jordan and Iraq through. Considering tournament form up to now, an Iraqi win is likely, and an Iraqi win by 4+ goals against Palestine on current form in the tournament isn't beyond reason either.

Beyond is the table for the results. It's down as team "wins by", with 0 being a draw between the sides. The horizontal and vertical axes are the two matches. The colour the box represents the team going through top, with the colours as in the title bar, and the '

Japan 2-0 Jordan

Iraq 2-0 Palestine

Japan and Iraq are through, Jordan and Palestine out.

With that it's down to 8 teams. The quarter finals are as such:

Korea v Uzbekistan

Australia v China

Iran v Iraq

Japan v UAE

In terms of the format of the knockout stages:

PBqGmn7

Wining team in bold:

Korea v Uzbekistan

Australia v China

Iran v Iraq

Japan v UAE (But I really want the UAE to win).

I'm a bit unsure of Japan and Iraq. Japan should beat the UAE, but despite the Palestine result (weakest team in the tournament) they don't look all that impressive. If they click, they will win the Asian Cup, but I'm just not sure of how they've been so far.

To be completely honest (35 minutes played, Korea 0-0 Uzbekistan) I think that this one is going to penalties. Uzbekistan to go through.

I wouldn't write off China either, have looked decent this tournament.

Not sure with Iran v Iraq. That's going to be an interesting one.

I'm a bit unsure of Japan and Iraq. Japan should beat the UAE, but despite the Palestine result (weakest team in the tournament) they don't look all that impressive. If they click, they will win the Asian Cup, but I'm just not sure of how they've been so far.

To be completely honest (35 minutes played, Korea 0-0 Uzbekistan) I think that this one is going to penalties. Uzbekistan to go through.

Japan will walk the Asian Cup. They have by far the strongest squad and have beaten their opponents at a canter so far. 

The only team standing in their way is Australia but I cannot see them providing too much of a problem.

My prediction from the start was a Japan Oz final. The disappointing theme though is how countries like UAE could have a much better national team if it wasn't for things like nepotism and badly run football associations. They have the quality but not the structure. 

Would be nice for once to get someone else aside from Japan and Australia.

My prediction from the start was a Japan Oz final. The disappointing theme though is how countries like UAE could have a much better national team if it wasn't for things like nepotism and badly run football associations. They have the quality but not the structure. 

Would be nice for once to get someone else aside from Japan and Australia.

Thanks to Australia coming second in group A, there won't be an Australia v Japan final:

PBqGmn7

If Australia beat China and Japan beat UAE, it will be an Australia v Japan semi.

One of Korea, Uzbekistan, Iran or Iraq will play in the final.

So the semi final is essentially the final.

I honestly don't rate Japan that highly this tournament. They don't look in form, have struggled to finish their chances, and to this point have faced arguably the weakest group, will face the weakest team in the quarters and there is supposedly trouble brewing with the coach.

I don't doubt they could win it, any of the last 8 could realistically win it from here, but I would actually rate Korea as a bigger threat, although they are having trouble tonight (90', 0-0, Uzbekistan arguably with the better chances). They are solid defensively, played well in their group, and are still yet to concede. If they are to go out tonight, I would think it'd be on penalties. If they go through tonight, I'd think they'd be in the final, and I wouldn't rule out them having a clean sheet tournament.

I'd think Australia should beat China and would probably beat Japan, they have looked dangerous, but look very prone to defensive lapses at this time (i.e. against Korea).

Archived