A short film from 1962

petersimple

This is a lovely short little film about Jimmy Hill at Coventry in 1962. The old black and white videos never gave you a true impression of what it was like to watch a game in those days, but the perfect colours in the game against Southend really bring the memories back. Even the sky looks realistic. The only Coventry player I recognise is George Curtis. I always thought of him as a rough old bruiser but here he just looks like a young lad.

Jimmy Hill did wonders in those few years with Coventry and he put a system in place to keep them in the top division for decades.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive got to admit being a 17 year old lad from derby I love to watch past games such as the 1946 (or was it 42) fa cup we won, I find it extremely fascinating to see how far football has come. My personal fave video by British Pathe was the derby squad training in the really early 1900s. watching past players run up the steps of the old bbg. I find it essential to respect the past

Ive got to admit being a 17 year old lad from derby I love to watch past games such as the 1946 (or was it 42) fa cup we won, I find it extremely fascinating to see how far football has come. My personal fave video by British Pathe was the derby squad training in the really early 1900s. watching past players run up the steps of the old bbg. I find it essential to respect the past

It was 46

And the BBG they were training in was pre Ossie end and Normantin end I believe. They used to get changed in a white hut where the Ossie end was eventually built

Archived