David Beckham

Day

He's back in the media again today hoping the move to AC Milan can go through, to be honest he's abit of a plonker for leaving for America in the first place.

I've read figures of £18m LA Galaxy want for him, a quality player no doubt but £18m for a 33 year old? surely Milan wont be stupid enough to cough up that amount?.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by David;2076

He's back in the media again today hoping the move to AC Milan can go through, to be honest he's abit of a plonker for leaving for America in the first place.

I've read figures of £18m LA Galaxy want for him, a quality player no doubt but £18m for a 33 year old? surely Milan wont be stupid enough to cough up that amount?.

What did LA think would happen though?

hob nobs

Originally posted by David;2076

But how quickly will that £18m be wiped out with sales of "Beckham 32" shirts?

I said on other forums and I'll say it on here - IMHO this move was engineered entirely by adidas:

• Beckham has a huge sponsorship deal with adidas.
  • Beckham's last three clubs have huge sponsorship deals with adidas.
  • Two of his last three clubs have global appeal while LA Galaxy were hoping to have similar sort of appeal.
  • Beckham himself has a huge global appeal, especially with the lucrative Asian/American market.

Thus we have:

BGA (Beckham's Global Appeal) + CGA (Club's Global Appeal) + ASWP (Available Shirts With Print) = $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for adidas.

Thus concludes the business lesson.

For me, Beckham the footballer regrets moving to LA but Beckham the celebrity/accountant doesn't.

adidas have seen that the move to LA has failed - LA weren't particularly successful but now Beckham has gone to AC (with their famed training complex that keeps footballers going for longer), Beck's can sell shirts until he's nearly into his 40s.

That's my tuppence worth.

So could he come to Derby? We have a sponsorship deal with Adidas. Or Peterborough?

He always has strange numbers. He used to be 7, then 23 and now 32. He could be our 84! (1884)

I think the deal will go through at the last minute. If not, then that means L.A Galaxy are confident in keeping Beckham as a business asset.

Archived