10 reflections on a season and match

ilkleyram

Crap result and caught speeding on the A1 made for a poor day. But 36 hours later although still in pain,10 reflections on a season, a day and 2014/15:

1) great season, great games (scum at home, Barnsley, Donny, Brighton play offs all stick out) and great performances and performers - Bucko and Keogh, Bryson and Martin, Hughes' improvement, Eustace and Thorne, Grant and Russell, Hendrick and Fozzy

2) the Buzz, largely created by the management team - primarily SM, Simmo and Steele, but also Rush, Vicars and the owners, especially Brett Wilson. It feels as if we are being run properly on and off the field by people committed to our club. At last.

3) the team spirit - underestimated in value. We still looked a better team than QPR even in defeat, and both on and (very importantly) off the pitch.

4) the style of football has changed, and for the better. We scored a fantastic goal at Yeovil under the former regime (my goal of the season), but there has been an undeniable and positive change in philosophy since the management change.

5) the Wembley result was unjust. We were the better side even before the sending off. But that's football. As Vicars said what matters now is how we respond, as players, as a club and as fans. So far the signs have been good

6) signing George Thorne is NOT a sign of our ambition, or lack of it. Thorne will sign (on loan or permanently) if he wants to, not just because we want him to. His time with us will allow his agent to tout him round many clubs that will want him just as much as we do and will pay accordingly. That doesn't reflect our ambition only. He is ambitious too.

7) but we will need to replace him if he doesn't come, if we are to play the same system next year. Eustace is an option. So too, maybe, is Hughes. But perhaps SM and our recruiters have others in mind. We need to trust them.

8) the defence is key but success also demands that we have players to score goals - can Bryson and Martin repeat this season? If not can others - Hendo, Ward, Dawkins, Keogh, Bucko, Fozzy - chip in to an even greater degree?

9) dead ball delivery and greater imagination at free kicks needs to be improved. 14 corners at Wembley and no real goal challenge. It has been a recurring theme. Someone needs to come in to do it or a current player needs to practice more.

10) Us. Can we maintain the good feel factor, the support and noise, even if we don't sign Thorne plus four more and lose 5 out of the first 10? We have ended the season in fine style, but that doesn't guarantee a fine start, middle and end to next year. It's a 46 game slog all over again and the first 20 matches are of relatively minor importance. Get to Christmas and see where we are; get to Easter and be in the running. Build runs of positive results home and away. But create some South Stand noise and support around the whole ground and we can help.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post - pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing. The only thing I'd say is that the CDM role could be a bit of a conundrum. I think Eustace will be heading off to a coaching role, Hughes is better further forward as is Hendrick and I'd be surprised if Thorne is back (though it would be great if he was)

I think McClaren will have his targets lined up and we'll soon see what's being lined up. Can't wait!

Archived