Would you move from Derby if you came into a bit of money ?

petersimple

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rural Somerset. Nice views and not much crime. A trip out for a good pub meal involves a 15 or 20 minute drive but the roads are so quiet that I will often not see a single car on my return trip.

when you're pished

I find it hard to understand how anyone can be happy living only 3 miles from Birmingham Bullring. Most people would need to be at least 20 miles away from Birmingham before they started feeling comfortable. For some reason which I have now forgotten I used to walk from New Street station to a place in Sparkhill. I sometimes blame that long walk down the Stratford Road for my bleak outlook on life. Several people have told me that Birmingham's endless drab urban sprawl has made them feel ill. You seem to be using philosophy to put up with the depressing environment.  I don't think many people are capable of that.

More folk are content than you seem to think Peter. Money and possessions have very little to contribute to a person's happiness or misery. It is not a matter of philosophy either. There is a great poem in "Pilgrim's Progress" which I quote from memory.

He that is down need fear no fall,

He that is low, no pride.

He that is humble ever shall

Have Christ to be his guide.

I am content with what I have,

Little it be or much,

And, Lord, contentment still I crave,

Because Thou savest such.

John Bunyan wrote that in a prison cell!

I'm content with my lot in life too. :)

More folk are content than you seem to think Peter. Money and possessions have very little to contribute to a person's happiness or misery. It is not a matter of philosophy either. There is a great poem in "Pilgrim's Progress" which I quote from memory.

He that is down need fear no fall,

He that is low, no pride.

He that is humble ever shall

Have Christ to be his guide.

I am content with what I have,

Little it be or much,

And, Lord, contentment still I crave,

Because Thou savest such.

John Bunyan wrote that in a prison cell!

I'm content with my lot in life too. :)

"As I walked through the wilderness of this world I lighted on a certain place where was a den and I laid me down in that place to sleep and as I slept I dreamed a dream.”

What a great opening to a book. I can quote that by heart even though I am not a religious person. My parents gave me that book as a child but I was too young and I only looked at the pictures.

Trying to move away now, I'll miss the place but ... not that much, otherwise I wouldn't move I suppose. Money shouldn't be the key influence on anything (I know it often is the enabler though); if you want something bad enough then do what is necessary. Me, I want a quieter life away from the rat race so we're moving to a small town and I'm giving up being an accountant to become a woodworker.

Me, I want a quieter life away from the rat race so we're moving to a small town and I'm giving up being an accountant to become a woodworker.

Surely Smalley is small enough. If you think life in Smalley is a rat race you need to keep away from London.

Surely Smalley is small enough. If you think life in Smalley is a rat race you need to keep away from London.

Ha, don't work in Smalley. I remember my time in London very well - not so much lived there as existed for three years.

Archived