George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you honestly think that George Thorne, English, 21 year old, centre midfielder, 3 years on contract, probable future England international who has just showed startling form for a top 3 championship club would go for £1.5m?

He's had a half a good season with us, so yeah £1m is the top amount he is worth. 

As for his future, no one can predict that, however he obviously wants to play here and not at your place, and for him to openly say that says that your club may have a few issues behind the scenes, because if one of our youngsters stated that after a loan I would be asking myself why.

He's had a half a good season with us, so yeah £1m is the top amount he is worth. 

As for his future, no one can predict that, however he obviously wants to play here and not at your place, and for him to openly say that says that your club may have a few issues behind the scenes, because if one of our youngsters stated that after a loan I would be asking myself why.

Are we talking what he is worth or what he would be sold for? Worth £1m on current form yes. But you have to add £££ for potential. A potential, especially English potential is veeeery expensive.

Yeah it is concerning but I have stated previously just how rotten our club was on the inside last season. Thankfully so far this summer it has been addressed with players being released, manager sacked, change in our 'football dept' (I hate that phrase) structure, Terry Burton appointed, a bad apple in Dave McDonough sacked and JP actually showing some leadership. Things at the club should be better. GT would be talking from his experience before he came to you when it was really bad. I hope the issues have been resolved.

I really don't want to get a high and mighty about JP and his ability to get big bucks, and I am in no way say that GT is WORTH this much, but I will take at least £5m to sign him. I guarantee you. There is just too much potential in the lad not to over inflate his price.

Just to clarify one point. I am not sure (don't think anyone is) how FFP sits in this division at the moment BUT if it didn't exist and our ownership chose to do it £5m would be chicken feed. Don't get me wrong.......I really hate this billy big bucks stuff BUT if they wanted to Derby could easily afford him, don't have any doubt about that.

Can I just put one scenario to you.  Everyone has read his comments and it keeps being thrown back at us that he doesn't want to play for us.  Prior to being at Derby he did want to play for us.  He obviously made friends at Derby and feels "wanted" but how can you be sure that his attitude won't change once he is taken back into the fold at the Albion, with a manager in place that will put his arm round Thorne's shoulder and Thorne is back with his friends that he has been with since 16 at the academy.  Of course Thorne has had his head turned.  He has experienced first team football, because he has played well has been made to feel loved, but who is to say that won't change if the same happens when he is back at the Albion?  Just my twopence worth. We know that footballers are fickle and that he is still quite young so he is talking with his heart at the moment but again this could change once he is back in his routine at the Albion. 

Are we talking what he is worth or what he would be sold for? Worth £1m on current form yes. But you have to add £££ for potential. A potential, especially English potential is veeeery expensive.

Yeah it is concerning but I have stated previously just how rotten our club was on the inside last season. Thankfully so far this summer it has been addressed with players being released, manager sacked, change in our 'football dept' (I hate that phrase) structure, Terry Burton appointed, a bad apple in Dave McDonough sacked and JP actually showing some leadership. Things at the club should be better. GT would be talking from his experience before he came to you when it was really bad. I hope the issues have been resolved.

He has no potential at the moment, you cannot judge him on half a season after a bad injury playing in a fairly good side, he needs a full season or two to showcase himself and only then will any future potential be apparent. 

Regardless of what has been done to sort your club out, he obviously feels that his playing days are elsewhere, and those reasons are between him and the club.  Regardless of where GT ends up I hope he is playing first team football, we'll find someone else if we don't get him.

Can I just put one scenario to you.  Everyone has read his comments and it keeps being thrown back at us that he doesn't want to play for us.  Prior to being at Derby he did want to play for us.  He obviously made friends at Derby and feels "wanted" but how can you be sure that his attitude won't change once he is taken back into the fold at the Albion, with a manager in place that will put his arm round Thorne's shoulder and Thorne is back with his friends that he has been with since 16 at the academy.  Of course Thorne has had his head turned.  He has experienced first team football, because he has played well has been made to feel loved, but who is to say that won't change if the same happens when he is back at the Albion?  Just my twopence worth. We know that footballers are fickle and that he is still quite young so he is talking with his heart at the moment but again this could change once he is back in his routine at the Albion.

Sure, but according to your supporters on here you have a particularly nasty , and vindictive owner, think he will change ?.

Sure, but according to your supporters on here you have a particularly nasty , and vindictive owner, think he will change ?.

We don't have an owner who will make a 21 year old sat rot in the reserves for 3 years to spite him, the baggies fans that said that are talking nonsense.

Just to clarify one point. I am not sure (don't think anyone is) how FFP sits in this division at the moment BUT if it didn't exist and our ownership chose to do it £5m would be chicken feed. Don't get me wrong.......I really hate this billy big bucks stuff BUT if they wanted to Derby could easily afford him, don't have any doubt about that.

I'm not one to comment on your finances as I don't know enough so I won't, but I haven't said anywhere that you couldn't afford it, I'm just talking about how much money we would probably let him go for in my opinion.

He has no potential at the moment, you cannot judge him on half a season after a bad injury playing in a fairly good side, he needs a full season or two to showcase himself and only then will any future potential be apparent. 

I disagree with you there mate. He has bags of potential and I am sure most Derby fans will agree. He hasn't just played well for you. He made his debut at 16. There has been an excitement about him at the hawthorns for 5 years now, waiting for him to come through. He was brilliant at Portsmouth a few years back. Didn't do great at Watford but then they were in poor form, played well for us in the PL last season for the few appearances he made before he got injured. Then he did great for you. His form at Derby was EXPECTED. we've known about his ability and potential for a long long time. With that being said the injury was a set back but he has since done well for you so it seems to be behind him.

So he has got potential, potential that comes at a premium.

Whatever way you look at it, sending out one of our prospects on loan to get some match fitness after an 18 month injury has really backfired on us!

I think GT needs to look at himself in the mirror a bit. Seems that the club supported him through his injury and rewarded him with an improved contract. This duress thing - no one can really tell what the truth is with that except the club and player. It sounds so much like agent talk. But regardless of that, he got a pay rise after 18 months out.

He's potential is now reset due to the injury, he may break down at anytime so all the brilliance that was there before is replaced by a question of durability, answer that first ie a season free of injury and the potential is back.   Same goes for Barker and Coutts at our place.

It's not reset at all. His fitness is but his ability and potential isn't. An ACL at 19 years old is not the end of the world, at a young age the healing process is better than say a 29 year old.

Players often come back better after serious injury as it improves there mentality.

Archived