Gary Doherty - Norwich City

Day

Another one from the DET forum here...

I have just been down to the club shop on the off chance of picking up a new shirt and got talking to one of the members of staff who said that Gary Doherty had been seen at the ground earlier on in the day. He could bring some experience to the team, also would make a good back up striker.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er................ WHO ??

Doherty started his league career with Luton Town in 1997. The Republic of Ireland international made 84 appearances in total over less than three seasons with the Hatters.

He was bought by Luton old boy David Pleat then Director of Football at Tottenham Hotspur for £1million in March 2000. The player made his Spurs debut as a substitute in a 3–1 defeat at Manchester United in May 2000.

He played in the team regularly during December 2000. However, the following season started badly when he broke his leg in a League Cup match against Torquay in September. He returned before the end of the season but found it hard to break back into the side.

At Tottenham, Doherty eventually settled into a defensive role, and although he enjoyed probably his best spell after the turn of the year in 2003–04, he did not manage to consistently reach the form he exhibited before breaking his leg, and was eventually sold by Tottenham's new management team of Frank Arnesen and Jacques Santini at the start of the 2004–05 season to newly promoted Norwich City for an undisclosed fee.

At Norwich, his career started well, earning a regular place at the heart of the defence, but he lost his place in February to Jason Shackell and Norwich were eventually relegated. The following season, however, saw Doherty established as a regular choice at centre-back and his form and consistency improved considerably. Although Norwich City had a difficult and disappointing 2005–06 season, the supporters recognised Doherty's contribution by voting him Norwich City player of the year.

Doherty signed a new contract at Carrow Road until summer 2008. The 2007–08 season also started off poorly for Doherty and was injured for 2 months in October. Doherty's contract expired, but he signed a new two year deal on July 1st.[1] He subsequently announced that his new squad number, 12, is intended to bring him luck:[2]<blockquote>"It's all about superstition. Since I came to Norwich, my goal tally's been rubbish really. I used to wear 12 at Luton and Tottenham, and I used to be quite free-scoring during those times."

</blockquote>During the Canaries' 2008–09 pre-season tour, Doherty picked up an ankle injury that ruled him out for the first three months of the season. Having returned to the side, he scored his first league goal for more than three years on Boxing Day 2008 in a 3–1 defeat to Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.

Sounds like a crock to me - no thanks !

Been around for what seems like donkey's years, I'd say he'd be a decent squad player to come in if we had any injuries instead of relying on the youngsters but I would rather keep Alby and Nyatanga.

Jealous of my shine, yer only jealous of my shine, jealous of my shinnnnnne your only jealous of my shine!.

Jealous of my shine, yer only jealous of my shine, jealous of my shinnnnnne your only jealous of my shine!.

Archived