Alby gone ?

vicky-27

Albrechtsen released

Thursday 02 Jul 2009 11:23:11 by Arild Brenna Sand

In an interview with Danish newspaper BT, Martin Albrechtsen tells he was not wanted by Derby County anymore and has now been released by the club. "Just before the season ended, I was told I could find a new club," Martin Albrechtsen tells the newspaper.

"They said they could get other players for a lower price that they would rather spend their money on than me. That's OK if I find a new club but it may be a long year if I don't."

Albrechtsen joined the Rams almost exactly one year ago, coming on a free transfer from West Bromwich. The defender started his Rams career very well and was early touted as a potential Player of the Year, but injuries kept him on the sidelines for parts of the campaign.

The 29-year-old was a regular in the starting eleven for much of the season though, including the end after Nigel Clough took over so it was expected he would continue to be a preferred choice in defence.

Can't find anything official though.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not good enough for us - but he thinks he is good enough for the Premiership :eek:

The Denmark international joined the Rams from West Bromwich Albion on a free transfer last summer and made 35 league starts in the 2008/09 season.

Albrechtsen's future is uncertain after he explained he has received offers from a number of teams so far this summer and that he desires a return to the Premier League.

He told Onside: "There has been interest but they are primarily from the clubs in the Championship.

"But the salary at those clubs is far from what I am making now. That's why I chose to wait a little to see if something else comes up.

"Of course I would like to play in the Premier League but it will be hard as I have played three years in the Championship.

"I am still hoping, but we will see what happens."

Albrechtsen also admitted that a return to his homeland is unlikely, adding: "That's not where my agent is looking.

"The first priority is England and that is where we are looking.

Archived