NFL thread

Perky1106

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I learn more about the NFL it amazes me how many of the players have had brushes with the law, serious issues in their home lives or links with drugs.  Imagine if this was also the case in football in this country. 

​Think of it as a percentage though. Each team at this time of year has about 90 players, 52 (think that maybe increasing if I remember right to about 54) on active roster during season. That equates to over two whole squads of players on a standard "soccer" team.

Guess it speaks to Marijuana being legal in places and not in others over there and guns being common place.

​Think of it as a percentage though. Each team at this time of year has about 90 players, 52 (think that maybe increasing if I remember right to about 54) on active roster during season. That equates to over two whole squads of players on a standard "soccer" team.

Guess it speaks to Marijuana being legal in places and not in others over there and guns being common place.

​I guess so.  But how many professional footballers in the UK do you hear of being charged with cruelty to animals for example?  I realise that it is a different game in a different culture in a different country but as a newbie it has surprised me.

​I guess so.  But how many professional footballers in the UK do you hear of being charged with cruelty to animals for example?  I realise that it is a different game in a different culture in a different country but as a newbie it has surprised me.

​Guess you're right on some of the craziness, but you hear of the likes of Adam Johnson, Lee Hughes, McCormick etc., then a lot of the minor stuff doesn't tend to come out here.

The league offers a service as well where any player can get picked up from anywhere at anytime as well to avoid things like drink driving offences. Makes it even more ridiculous when they don't use it.

​Guess you're right on some of the craziness, but you hear of the likes of Adam Johnson, Lee Hughes, McCormick etc., then a lot of the minor stuff doesn't tend to come out here.

The league offers a service as well where any player can get picked up from anywhere at anytime as well to avoid things like drink driving offences. Makes it even more ridiculous when they don't use it.

​True, footballers aren't all angels.

I didn't know that about the driving service.

• 3 weeks later...

Just posting to say,

I'm a pretty big follower of the NFL so, yeah!

And the NCAA 

Follow the Saints in the NFL and LSU in NCAA.

Saints are close to implosion, brace yourself.

Not so sure, but just as possible as not. I've followed the Saints for a long time, and the depth chart is a lot more similar to the Saints successful seasons than it has been recently.

Not so sure, but just as possible as not. I've followed the Saints for a long time, and the depth chart is a lot more similar to the Saints successful seasons than it has been recently.

2 of worst contracts in the league on that defense, and with Brees on the decline without his boy Graham.

2 of worst contracts in the league on that defense, and with Brees on the decline without his boy Graham.

I agree with the first 3 points, they are all concerning. But Graham was not really Brees' boy. Didn't really pass to him any more than he did the average TEs that proceeded him. 

He's class, Graham, but I don't think it's going to be the hit to the offense people think it's going to be. Might be a small decrease in productivity because of it, anything else beyond that will be down to this Brees' declination.

I really hope Brees' decline shows a bit of a second wind like Manning and Brady did after their iffy seasons. But the only way the Saints can steady his ship is if they can reduce the amount of snaps Brees' is playing from a losing position. Reduce the pressure on him to force a play which is where the majority of his INTs came last season.

I don't only follow the Saints though, I don't think they're contenders (although it wouldn't shock me completely if they had a great year) but I think it'll be close between them and the Panthers this year, big fan of Cam Newton as well and I hope the franchise deal really kicks him into gear, could do the opposite of course. Still neither are a patch on the Seahawks or Packers.

Certainly. 

Josh Hill is a long way off Graham, but he's pretty solid as well. 

I'm excited for the year, think it's going to be very interesting and I don't think anyone can really know what's going to happen visa vi the Saints.

I won't be too shocked to see the Saints in the top 5 draft picks next year. I won't be too shocked to see them getting to the Superbowl.

I'm going to be paying a lot of attention to the AFC East though. Looks to be a fascinating division.

Saints weren't a whole lotta good last season, even with Graham. However, I'm not sure they are going to be much worse either. Their WR's have always seen action spread out, Brees might need to focus on Cooks a little more but he's good enough to use what he's given (all deflategate Tom) Their D is bad, and expensive, but no worse than some others, especially in a division containing Tamba Bay and Atlanta, who don't offer much defensively.

A lot will ride on how the defensive rookies turn out for them. If their defense doesn't improve, forget about it.

:lol:

Think many share that opinion with you. I rate him though, and think he's a great guy, arrogant but to be honest I get more annoyed by smug successful people than arrogant ones lol.

I have to slightly wish he fails a little, as I am a saints fan and he destroyed LSU in a game v Auburn before he was drafted, which I'm still a little bitter about.

I am still really new to following NFL but I do think Cam Newton could become a top 3 QB this season.

Not a chance.

He's a play maker, for absolute sure. But he's inaccurate. He throws high, hence Panthers have drafted a basketball team for Wide Receivers (Benjamin last year, Funchess this year). He will be top 10, but his offensive line is iffy too. But top 3 is way too far when you have Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Romo, Rivers, Manning, Roethlisberger etc. all ahead of him.

He's back end of top tier, heading into middle tier... with the likes of Eli, Flacco, Ryan.

Not a chance.

He's a play maker, for absolute sure. But he's inaccurate. He throws high, hence Panthers have drafted a basketball team for Wide Receivers (Benjamin last year, Funchess this year). He will be top 10, but his offensive line is iffy too. But top 3 is way too far when you have Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Romo, Rivers, Manning, Roethlisberger etc. all ahead of him.

He's back end of top tier, heading into middle tier... with the likes of Eli, Flacco, Ryan.

This year he'll never be top 3. Not really close. 

But if his technical ability improves to the level people know it *CAN*, then coupled with his physical ability he wouldn't be able to be ignored.

It's a big if, and even if he did improve to his maximum potential he's years away from even being in the discussion.

Not a chance.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge but I do think it is worth bearing in mind that the likes of Manning, Romo, Rivers and Roethlisberger will soon be starting their decline towards retirement (if they haven't already begun it) leaving the ever improving Luck, Rodgers and Wilson.  I think it just depends on the pace of Newton's improvement this season - sure they will play to his strengths, but who wouldn't?

Archived