Article on Derby County

TheFL72

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh Notts Ram......this where we differ. IMO, Nigel knows exactly what he's doing, how he wants the team to play, the philosophy of the club, everything.

I honestly think he wants us to play a variation of the Ajax/Holland teams of the early 70's....Total Football....that's the era he grew up watching and what influenced Johnny Metgod.

The issue is that to achieve that dream would take 10 years. I know that has been mentioned but its not realistic. It would be unprecedented in the modern era for anyone to have that amount of time without gaining promotion or winning trophies.

I tend to agree with this.

Nige doesn't get it right every time (and sometimes his ideas backfire badly which is why on the face it, it seems laughable we're saying he's trying to emulate one of the all time great footballing teams), but that midfield rotation thing he was using at Brighton was one of the most innovative formations I've seen in the 20 years I've been going, including the Smith and Burley years.

People will (rightly) point to the fact that we haven't always played like this under his tenure, but in the 4 years he's been here this is the first time he would have stood a chance of that kind of system working. It'll go wrong in games, no doubt, but persistence is the key.

While we're trying stuff like that (AND picking up points along the way - we need to be knocking on the top six with the squad we have), he'll get my backing.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback, it is all appreciated. Am glad many of you enjoyed the article.

Uttoxram75: It seems that the more you delve into it, my side - Barnet - have a side to rival their erratic nature! By the way, the FA Trophy was way before my time, but another trophy we've been unsuccessful in!

Ilkleyram: Cheers, I will take a look of the forum before writing articles - always good to get the fans' definitive insight first!

Angry Ram: I see your qualms about the 'seeds' - Premiership interest is inevitable when you turn out such a high variety of talented youngsters, but they are the ones taking the club forward: providing short-term success, and long-term success through (reinvestment of) sales.

McRamFam: Anyone but Murdoch!

Cheron85: As an "outsider", I'd say Derby are very well run, but as mentioned on here, it is a conflicting topic.

SantosHalper: Replied to you, mate.

EastHertsRam:Ha!

Notts_ram: I decided to stick to one side of the argument, as not to make the article go overboard, but can see why it would make the article more substantial. However have to disagree with #1 - Clough, for a manager in the Championship, is one of the few with a long-term strategy in place; and #4 - it could go either way, really, but a challenge is expected and wanted.

Many regards and best of luck today,

Josh.

• 3 weeks later...

Josh..

The seeds he has planted will probably grow into flowers somewhere else. We will look after them until they start to blossom and then some big old Premier gardener will come along a pick them. Okay if we invest in some flowers ourself but what happens if we keep relying on the seeds? We never really move forward we will just become an academy for someone else.

:angry:

Haven't you just described the fate of every football club on the planet outside the Top 10 (20?)? If that is the case, then doesn't it make sense to become renowned as an academy and profit from it?

Hi guys,

I am Josh Ilan, an aspiring football journalist and a long-suffering Barnet fan.

It would be much appreciated if you could read my article on "Derby County's Long Term Planning Finally Coming to Fruition". If you could rate article at the top of the page, that would be great - comments on either this forum or the blog would also be brilliant.

Here is a link to the article:

Thanks in advance and best of luck for the rest of the season,

Josh

Excellent piece Josh. I hope your confidence is well placed. There is only one additional point I would make, namely that Nigel set out his strategy quite clearly from the time of his appointment and has (so far) kept to the schedule he outlined. Also, saw your Championship preview. If your prediction for Derby comes to fruition, then we will still be on track to the original plan. I would suggest there may already be some other clubs' positions you might be reviewing already?

Archived