Current Squad Discussion Thread

davenportram

Okay - Heres the current squad. The strikethroughs are the players Cough said could find a new club that are still here.

DERBY COUNTY SQUAD 2013-2014

Keepers
Saul Deeney................2014

Adam Legzdins.............2014
Ross Atkins...............2014
Mats Morch...............????? (signed first pro contract 2012-13 season)
Lee Grant...................2016

Full Backs
James O'Connor..........2014
Craig Forsyth...............2016
Michael Hoganson.......2014
Kieron Freeman..........2016

Centre Halves
Valentin Gjokaj.....2014
Jake Buxton ......2015 plus 1 year option
Shaun Barker ......2015
Mark O'brien........2015
Tom Naylor...........2015
Richard Keogh......2015

Midfield
Ben Davies..........2014
Jamie Ward ........2014 plus 1 year option
Craig Bryson.......2016
Jeff Hendrick........2015
Will Hughes ........2016
Michael Jacobs....2015
Paul Coutts...........2015
John Eustace........2014
James Bailey..........2014

Strikers
Nathan Tyson .....2014
Callum Ball ..........2014
Mason Bennett.....2016.(until he's 20 apparently)
Conor Sammon .....2016
Chris Martin.......2015 (plus 1 year option)
Johnny Russell.....2017

Players out on loan

Ross Atkins - Alfreton

Tom Naylor - January

Callum Ball - Torquay until October

Conor Doyle - DC United

The only area I'm really worried about is Centre Half - with the only real injuries in the club being 2 of our 5 centre halves we have no depth.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atkins is a season long loan, Naylor is at Newport, Doyle comes back after the US season finished on October 27th.

Should probably add Smith to the squad seeing as he's here until May, at least with him it looks like we have a little cover at fullback.

I think the squad looks sparse throughout - it would be about right if Legzdins, O'Connor, Naylor and Tyson were replaced with players who would contribute.

Take any one of the regular first teamers out and we are significantly weakened (albeit less so in midfield).  

I recall Nige saying that effectively when Fielding and Ledzdins are gone Deeney will be back up keeper, but if he needs to bring someone in to cover an extended period of absence from Grant he will.  The squad looks very much geared up to be the same - it can 'make do' if there's an injury or suspension, but if someone important is out for more than the odd game they need replacing from outside the current squad,

A CB and if we get some cash for Bailey and the £150,000 for Theo I'd like a natural right sided midfielder with some pace and directness.

Then I think the squad would offer enough alternatives for a manager to prove what he can or can't do.

>I think the squad looks sparse throughout 

Really?  I see competition in every position without playing anyone out-of-position:

Keepers:
Saul Deeney

Lee Grant

Left Back:
Craig Forsyth

Michael Hoganson

Right Back:

Adam Smith

Kieron Freeman

Centre Halves:
Valentin Gjokaj
Jake Buxton
Shaun Barker
Mark O'brien
Richard Keogh

Central Midfield:

Craig Bryson
Jeff Hendrick
Will Hughes

John Eustace

Left Wide Midfield:

Jamie Ward

Michael Jacobs

Right Wide Midfield

Ben Davies

Paul Coutts

Strikers:
Mason Bennett
Conor Sammon
Chris Martin
Johnny Russell

I think it is the deepest squad we have had for years.  Granted that injury to two centre halves has left us light in, hopefully, the short-term.  I would like to see a loan come in and then re-assess where we are with that position in January.

Any squad can be improved so I'm not saying we don't need more quality in some positions but I am very happy going into the season with this squad. I think it is an improvement on last year when we came 10th so a top-6 finish is a realistic ambition.  I don't think we are good enough for a top-2, but with some tweaking next summer and the younger players having another year of experience I don't see why that wouldn't be realistic.  Possibly, we will also have further cash injections from selling one or more of the young stars to fund further building.

Atkins is a season long loan, Naylor is at Newport, Doyle comes back after the US season finished on October 27th.

Should probably add Smith to the squad seeing as he's here until May, at least with him it looks like we have a little cover at fullback.

I think the squad looks sparse throughout - it would be about right if Legzdins, O'Connor, Naylor and Tyson were replaced with players who would contribute.

Take any one of the regular first teamers out and we are significantly weakened (albeit less so in midfield).

I recall Nige saying that effectively when Fielding and Ledzdins are gone Deeney will be back up keeper, but if he needs to bring someone in to cover an extended period of absence from Grant he will. The squad looks very much geared up to be the same - it can 'make do' if there's an injury or suspension, but if someone important is out for more than the odd game they need replacing from outside the current squad,

We are Derby in the Championship, not Man City.

This is exactly the same for every team in the division. Get a grip.

Archived