Snooker World Championship 2013

CumbrianRam

World Champs qualifying draw has been made; Steve Davis could play Peter Ebdon for a spot at the Crucible, has there ever been a meeting of World Champions in the qualifiers?

Ronnie could play Ali Carter in 2nd round, John Higgins/Bingham in quarters, Judd/Murphy in the semis and Ding, Allen, Selby or Robbo in the final.

I'd like a Ronnie/Ding final, I have become a big Ding fan this season enjoy his style of play, but he could have though 2nd round match v Allen and QF v Selby.

Full draw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_World_Snooker_Championship

The amateur qualifiers start tomorrow, with former semi-finalist Joe Swail the big name there. With the main ones starting on Saturday and finishing next Friday.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World Champs qualifying draw has been made; Steve Davis could play Peter Ebdon for a spot at the Crucible, has there ever been a meeting of World Champions in the qualifiers?

Ronnie could play Ali Carter in 2nd round, John Higgins/Bingham in quarters, Judd/Murphy in the semis and Ding, Allen, Selby or Robbo in the final.

I'd like a Ronnie/Ding final, I have become a big Ding fan this season enjoy his style of play, but he could have though 2nd round match v Allen and QF v Selby.

Full draw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_World_Snooker_Championship

The amateur qualifiers start tomorrow, with former semi-finalist Joe Swail the big name there. With the main ones starting on Saturday and finishing next Friday.

Mate of mine playing in the qualifiers

Just checked the results, Paul won the first match, is probably playing the second round now, someone else i know Surinder Gill (he's from Derby originally) won his round one match but lost his round two match :( 

Northern Ireland's Mark Allen has warned that snooker's revamped tour could lead to the loss of half its professional players next season.

Asia is an increasingly important market for the sport, with five of next season's 11 ranking events set to be played in China and one in India.

And Allen, the world number six, believes the travel expenses involved will decimate player numbers.

"There will be far more players who can't afford to play," said Allen.

"There will be 128 players starting next season but three or four months later that will be down to under 100.

"Six months in and that could be down to 64, because so many people won't be able to fork out for expenses."

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn says the total prize money in snooker has risen from £3.5m to £8m in the three years he has been in charge.

But Allen, a long-time critic of Hearn's new measures, says paying for their own travel expenses has offset these supposed gains.

Players pay for their own flights and hotels for most overseas events, although a spokesman from World Snooker said most of their hotels are paid for in China.

"If I'd have lost in the first round at the World Open [Allen won the tournament in China], I probably would have been struggling to pay my bills," Allen, 27, told BBC Sport.

"There are just so many outlays, especially if we're going to China six or seven times a year. The expenses have probably tripled or quadrupled since Barry took over.

"When we started going to China we used to get our flights paid for but when Barry came in he stopped that, so that's probably another £10,000-£15,000 a year we have to pay out.

"I'm lucky to play the game I love for a living but I'm number six in the world, I deserve to have a bit more money."

According to World Snooker's latest figures Allen is ninth on the current money list, with £278,273 earned over the past two years. However, outside the top 48 no player has earned more than £50,000.

Allen says one way to alleviate the financial burden and mental strain would be to have an 'Asian swing', with two or three months of the season based in China.

"It would make more sense if we, like the European Tour in golf, spent six to eight weeks in China and then came back to Europe," said Allen.

"I could probably count on the fingers of one hand how many days I've spent at home in 2013 so far.

"I've got a daughter who lives in England with her mum and I don't get to see her that much. It does take a mental toll."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/22013930

£300k for the World Champ next year. They voted Hearn is some you reap what you sow.

More chances for young players to shine and the Masters is still protected to top 16.

Compare this:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2860947,00.html

http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles/d2/bb/0,,13165~179154,00.pdf

To this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_season_2004/2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_season_2005/2006

Not a fan of the shorter matches and some of the shot clock events though.

World Championship draw tomorrow afternoon, starts on Saturday with Ronnie O'Sullivan. Some information of the qualifiers to join the seeds.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: THE QUALIFIERS
The qualifiers for the Betfair World Championship have finished and a varied group of players have made it to the Crucible, easily digestible in three groups...

THE DEBUTANTS
By far the most exciting group, the debutants number six this year, the most since 1999.

Leading the pack for me is Jack Lisowski, who we saw come good at the China Open, where he beat Judd Trump en route to the quarter-finals. Lisowski no longer deserves to be known as Trump’s friend and practice partner. He’s a considerable talent in his own right. He looks like a star to me and can realise that potential on the biggest stage of them all. It won’t be easy because the pressure will be all new to him, but Lisowski could cause some real damage.

Michael White is similarly deadly in the balls and has qualified this year as his good friend Jamie Jones did last year (Jones reached the quarter-finals). White doesn’t have much TV experience but is a dangerously talented potter.

Ben Woollaston has quietly been improving these last couple of years. He held himself together well to edge Ryan Day in a decider on Saturday night.

Matt Selt also came through in a decider after his 9-4 lead over comeback king Ken Doherty was wiped out. Selt is a confident, disciplined player. In some ways his scare against Doherty may help prepare him for the pressures to come.

Dechawat Poomjaeng is a bit of an unknown quantity. He has qualified from round one and becomes the third Thai, after James Wattana and Tai Pichit, to play at the Crucible. His style is methodical and he has an inscrutable manner which could help him get under a players' skins.

Sam Baird, relegated last season but a returnee through Q School, reached the last 16 of this season’s Welsh Open and, like Poomjaeng, won four matches to qualify, a considerable effort. He will also be taking a step into unchartered territory, a sink or swim environment with the game’s big fishes.

THE REGULARS
Some familiar faces are once again at the Crucible this year. Peter Ebdon grafted long into the night to beat Kurt Maflin 10-8 and secure a 22nd successive appearance, a fine achievement by the 2002 champion.

Dominic Dale makes his eighth appearance and third in succession after easing past Alfie Burden. Mark Davis, Martin Gould, Marcus Campbell and Mark King are no strangers to the treading the Crucible carpet, whatever colour it is.

The real dangerman from this group is Marco Fu, a World Championship semi-finalist in 2006 and runner-up in the German Masters this season. Fu is right up there as one of the qualifiers the top 16 seeds will want to avoid.

BACK AFTER THE BREAK
There are some players returning to Sheffield after absences since their last visit. Michael Holt is back for the first time since 2010 after holding off Mark Joyce 10-7 having led 8-0.

Alan McManus, a semi-finalist in 1992 and 1993, won three matches to qualify for the first time since 2006. Robert Milkins ended Jimmy White’s hopes 10-5 and is back for the first time since 2005.

The draw for the first round takes place on Monday from 1.30pm UK time on Talksport, the commercial sports station.

http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/world-championship-qualifiers.html

Ebdon v Ronnie again?

I will give my usual run down of the players and the best value odds.

Just looking through the outright betting prior to todays draw.

As a complete outsider and crucible debutant, Jack Lisowski represents great value at 50/1.

If you haven't seen him play then you're in for a treat. He plays like Ronnie and Trump and on his game is a match for any of the worlds top players. He absolutely blew Judd Trump off the table in a recent outing and has recorded wins over most of the elite players.

He had to come through two qualifying matches winning them both very easily 10-4 and will certainly be the qualifier that the top players want to avoid in the draw.

Here is a player that I think will be challenging for a top four in the world spot within the next year or two.

The in form player on the tour is Stephen Maguire at 18/1. Worth a small punt at each way odds.

I cannot understand Ronnie's price of 6/1. For me, he shouldn't be among the favourites having barely picked up a cue in the last 12 months. I would back him to make an early exit.

The draw

(1) Ronnie O'Sullivan v Marcus Campbell

(16) Ali Carter v Ben Woollaston

(9) Stuart Bingham v Sam Baird

(8) John Higgins v Mark Davis

(5) Shaun Murphy v Martin Gould

(12) Graeme Dott v Peter Ebdon

(13) Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu

(4) Judd Trump v Dominic Dale

(3) Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins

(14) Ricky Walden v Michael Holt

(11) Mark Williams v Michael White