The Spelling & Grammar Thread

Biffy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.....and it seems that the criteria for english as a second language are relaxed to accept american variant spellings.

It would hardly make sense to enforce proper english spelling on someone who perhaps wants to go to the States and for whom this is not even their first language.

None of which changes the fact that in proper english, colour is spelt as indicated....o...u...r.

And perhaps you should think about teaching them proper english not some duff second rate version?

I actually teach them using British letters.. Such as S instead of Z, and I spell color as colour with them.. I also pronounce the Z as Zed and not Zee like the Americans do..

But that's not to say that any of the above is incorrect..

I know colour is correct, but so is color.. But are correct. This whole debate came when one poster criticised another for spelling something that is widely accepted..

He/She or Biffy was wrong on this occasion..

But regardless of what English I teach them, the people that I actually teach go more to Europe than the US.. Yet TOEFL is the qualification that they need and I prepare them for that.. Which accepts both color and colour and realise and realize..

But there is no such thing as 'proper english' the same as there is no such thing as 'proper Spanish'.. I speak Spanish, but I don't speak using the term Vos or Vosotros.. I was also speaking to a student who comes from Barcelona today (I know lucky right!) and she was speaking to me in mix Catalan/Spanish using terms I've never heard of.. Yet her Spanish is widely accepted in Latin America as the Spanish language..

It isn't a legitimate variant spelling .....

It is a US debasement of our language.....maybe acceptable over there, but incorrect over here.

....and i'm not even a grammar nazi.

Archived