Non story of the season?

cannable

Celtic's Kris Commons ends Scotland career

Celtic midfielder Kris Commons has retired from international football.

His club's website states the 29-year-old, who scored twice in his 12 games for Scotland, wishes "to concentrate on his family and on club football".

Commons said: "I have enjoyed my time immensely with the Scotland team and it was a very proud moment every time I pulled on the Scotland shirt."

Scotland manager Gordon Strachan has accepted the player's reasons and has wished him well.

Commons added: "I have thought about this decision for some time.

"At this stage of my career I just want to give Celtic my 100 per cent commitment and ensure I can prolong my club career as long as possible.

"I also want to give my young family more attention, something I have not been able to do for some time.

"Neil Lennon had spoken to Gordon in person a while back and I was really pleased to speak to Gordon today.

"I am on very good terms with him and I wish him and the Scotland team all the very best for the future. I am sure Gordon will do a great job."

Strachan, who named his squad earlier on Tuesday to face Croatia on 7 June , said: "I spoke to Kris tonight and understand his family considerations. I wish him the best of luck for the future."

*Tumbleweed*

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived