Paul Jewell answers Rams' fans questions - Old Article

Bris Vegas

I went onto the DET website and tried to find any records of the previous forum as I remember I had a few posts on there.. And I stumbled across this that I'd never seen before..

Bris Vegas asks: Whereabouts are the club scouts and are we likely to see many foreigners brought in? Another Valenica, Scharner or Chimbonda please.

Jewell: I spotted Valencia playing in the World Cup when I was doing some work for Radio 5 Live. I saw him against Poland and thought 'he's a good player' and I could not believe he was only 19. He was at Villarreal but had been out on loan, a terrific player. Chimbonda? You pick up one of them every blue moon. Signings like Chimbonda where you buy him for £400,000 and sell him for £5m a year later, there are not too many of them around. Sometimes you just take a chance. It was not as if Chimbonda was a youngster, he had been around and we took a punt on him.

Wigan paid £1.7m for Scharner who was an Austrian international.

We are all over Europe watching games. We have got scouts up and down the country, and we have a tie up in Holland and at FC Porto.

I am very happy with my scouting team.

Very happy with his scouting team? Wutta muppet left us with a shed load of overpaid donkeys..

There are a few more questions being asked.. I'm pretty sure this fella posts on here..

darthdmun asks: Do you believe that a wage cap should be introduced?

Jewell: I get paid well, so there is no point me turning round and saying players are overpaid. I think we are all overpaid in football, to be honest, but you are not going to say no if it is offered to you.

Salary cap? I don't know. Not all footballers are very wealthy but the majority in the top two divisions are.

Yeh we knew you and your players got paid well Jewell.. You set us back about 3 years.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went onto the DET website and tried to find any records of the previous forum as I remember I had a few posts on there.. And I stumbled across this that I'd never seen before..

Bris Vegas asks: Whereabouts are the club scouts and are we likely to see many foreigners brought in? Another Valenica, Scharner or Chimbonda please.

Jewell: I spotted Valencia playing in the World Cup when I was doing some work for Radio 5 Live. I saw him against Poland and thought 'he's a good player' and I could not believe he was only 19. He was at Villarreal but had been out on loan, a terrific player. Chimbonda? You pick up one of them every blue moon. Signings like Chimbonda where you buy him for £400,000 and sell him for £5m a year later, there are not too many of them around. Sometimes you just take a chance. It was not as if Chimbonda was a youngster, he had been around and we took a punt on him.

Wigan paid £1.7m for Scharner who was an Austrian international.

We are all over Europe watching games. We have got scouts up and down the country, and we have a tie up in Holland and at FC Porto.

I am very happy with my scouting team.

Very happy with his scouting team? Wutta muppet left us with a shed load of overpaid donkeys..

There are a few more questions being asked.. I'm pretty sure this fella posts on here..

darthdmun asks: Do you believe that a wage cap should be introduced?

Jewell: I get paid well, so there is no point me turning round and saying players are overpaid. I think we are all overpaid in football, to be honest, but you are not going to say no if it is offered to you.

Salary cap? I don't know. Not all footballers are very wealthy but the majority in the top two divisions are.

Yeh we knew you and your players got paid well Jewell.. You set us back about 3 years.

Set us back 3 years. I think it more like 5 - 6 years we are just recovering now. If i saw jewell on fire i wouldn't piss on him. Tw@t.

I cannot blame Jewell for that lump Clough plays up front. Everything else, sure, from the general bitterness that lurks in the dark corners of my soul right through to the increase in cases of bubonic plague and the fact that I can never look at the number 11 without wincing.

Archived