What happens if Nigel Clough is sacked by Derby County? (mod edited title)

ChaddesdenRam

Agreed I was thinking the other day, when Clough eventually leaves Derby will he ever get another job?? Apart from back to Burton i don't think he will.

Doesn't that prove he's only ever going to be an average manager who should have been managing a league two team in the first place. Of course it was always going to be a gamble appointing a manager of a conference side, particularly because of how long it took Nigel to sort the team out. I guess why the board have stuck with him in the first place is because they have all term vision, and Nigel fits this vision because (no offence) he seems like a pushover.

He always looks neutral and inoffensive when he's giving interviews. Furthermore what he says in interviews are complete tripe, like how at the Forest game he said he thought it was a game of great football. He only gets angry when he's at the touchline and the squad is doing **** all. I've always heard rumours (only rumours) from sources I won't mention but I a lot of rumours say he has a really bad temper, he fell out with Commons, Cyka, Maguire, and the latest is he's fallen out with Theo.

I don't want another 10 years of slowly building a team, going through cycle after cycle of players. If he does stay for so long, it would be like having 2 different managers away because he would replace the squad. How many of the same players are here now when he originally came? I don't buy a season ticket every year to see a long term project at the cost of results, no atmosphere and crap football 60% of time. Think about it people!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough wont get sacked, I genuinely believe he'd stay even if he took us down (not that he will) and that the board would keep him in that scenario.

If he left though, I have no clue who the board would go after or whether I'd trust their judgement. The fact is we couldn't attract a proven manager - only up and comers who fancy a shot at a 'big' club.

I think we all know it'd be Roy Mac again as caretaker, then he'd get the job full time, then he'd get sacked, then it'd be Pesch's turn. Eventually Bruce Rioch would signal his intent to return to this country, but the board would appoint Phil Brown. The Derby public would go mad (even madder than usual), descend upon Pride Park with pitchforks and flaming torches but would be distracted by Victoria Pendleton opening the new velodrome.

Thousands would die a sticky, salty death by drowning.

Clough wont get sacked, I genuinely believe he'd stay even if he took us down (not that he will) and that the board would keep him in that scenario.

If he left though, I have no clue who the board would go after or whether I'd trust their judgement. The fact is we couldn't attract a proven manager - only up and comers who fancy a shot at a 'big' club.

Clough must have thought all of his birthdays, Christmases and lottery numbers had all come at once when he was offered the manager's job at Derby, didn't see any other Championship clubs fighting us to get his signature

He always looks neutral and inoffensive when he's giving interviews. Furthermore what he says in interviews are complete tripe, like how at the Forest game he said he thought it was a game of great football. He only gets angry when he's at the touchline and the squad is doing **** all. I've always heard rumours (only rumours) from sources I won't mention but I a lot of rumours say he has a really bad temper, he fell out with Commons, Cyka, Maguire, and the latest is he's fallen out with Theo.

He fell out with Theo after he missed that penalty. Then "made friends" ooooo fwends (inbetweeners). But now as you say Theo is firmly out the picture. At one nil down to Blackburn after 50-60 minutes I thought Theo would have been a shoe-in to get on the pitch but no, no one is really sure what he has done wrong???

He fell out with Theo after he missed that penalty. Then "made friends" ooooo fwends (inbetweeners). But now as you say Theo is firmly out the picture. At one nil down to Blackburn after 50-60 minutes I thought Theo would have been a shoe-in to get on the pitch but no, no one is really sure what he has done wrong???

Theo had tonsilitis and was not on the bench. Perhaps he's not done anything wrong, perhaps no-one did, apart from you.

You didn't take note of the subs.

Theo had tonsilitis and was not on the bench. Perhaps he's not done anything wrong, perhaps no-one did, apart from you.

You didn't take note of the subs.

I stand corrected.

Nonetheless i am sure we can agree he has been out the picture recently.

Tonsillitis is just a cover up.

I stand corrected.

Nonetheless i am sure we can agree he has been out the picture recently.

Indeed, and I'm a big Theo fan. Well, OK, a bit of a Theo fan. Either way, he's got a better strike rate than anyone at the club apart from Jamie Ward, and I hope he's in the side on Saturday.

Theo isn't starting because he's poor and brings very little to the side IMO, Tyson should have been ahead of him in the pecking order when he was here and Bennett should be now

Your wrong in my opinion. Conflicting opinions are great.

Theo is our top goalscorer and we are struggling to score goals. He has the best record out of any of out strikers. He should play

all these fans who argue that clough isn't good enough, is nothing special etc etc who would have been able to do the job better with the same resources or at has done better at another club with similar resources within the last 4 years?

since clough took over its not always been easy to bear as a fan but I truly feel he's getting the club going in the right direction, our home form for example is very solid and whilst away form is pretty poor, you've got to be able to crawl before you can walk or whatever the saying is.

I'm not saying I'm 100% pro clough - he does make some very bizzarre and questionable tactical/managerial choices in my eyes but who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

at the end of the day he's our manager and from the looks of things looks set to be for a while to come and i'm happy with that. No he definitely is not his father but I echo anyone who has already said he's the best man for the job all things considered. Derby fans need to be realistic rather than looking for the 'quick fix' of the Davies regime which ends up buggering the club up big time.

The only thing at the club i'd like to see a change in is the fickle attitude of a percentage of the fans who are quick to look for a scapegoat when things aren't as rosy as they could. We need to all get behind the team and clough rather than berate every decision he makes which doesn't quite work out.

There's a guy who sits opposite me who's been going for as long if not longer than I have to PP in the north stand as a season ticket holder and EVERY game without fail he's effing and blinding at misplaced passes and the like, jesus we're not spain! he literally moans at anything, even if we were 20 points clear at the top of the premier league having won every game without conceding a goal he'd still find something to moan about - much like some of the people on here!

Sometimes we just need to realise that there are better teams out there than us and they're better than us for a reason!!

Lets be honest none of us know if someone would have done better than clough as he has had the job. I myself think it's been average at best, yes the wage bill has been cut and the side is marginally better but on the whole it's been pretty much like watching paint dry and the atmosphere and hope seems to have gone out of the club. It's sad for me that we are now happy to accept being a mid table 2nd tier team.

Since when has a 'sore throat' ever stopped anyone working ?

unless you are a singer , of course.. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

I had septic tonsillitis a few years ago. Had it for the best part of a month. Docs took swabs at one point cos they thought it could have been cancer, antibods doing nothing at all.

Never felt as ill in me life. Poor me. Sniff...

Archived