Underfunded

inofthepost

I would just like to point a point of what a great job Nigel Clough is doing with the team, when he first was appointed as manager, there was alot off speculation, whether or not he could do the same job as father Brian(A legendary Derby manager that everyone loves and remembers 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> .) The problem is every since he been in charge of the team since January 2009, he as never had the transfer funds to bring in the top players, which means we will be a playoffs to mid-table team for a while to come. Although we have some great players at this moment in time, The likes of Will Hughes, Conner Sammon, Jeff Hendrick, Frank Fielding, Craig Bryson and well done to all the other team members who have just been call up for international duty. So i believe that the Board and the Chairman Andrew Appleby, should give Nigel the time and the funds he needs to rebuild the squad. Because I believe that he will team the team into one of the best. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rebuild the squad.

am I missing something???

It always cracks me up how fans are willing to spend the owners money, they have already put in £8million this year, no doubt will be a similar figure next year for other capital projects that are going on,

I understand fans arent patiant by our nature but come on!

We all know that spending cash willy nilly doesnt necessarily mean promotion, rome wasnt built in a day etc etc.

If you dont like what the owners are doing buy the club off them for the £50 million of your own money, spend the money you want to rebuild, and dont forget to cover the losses year in year out.

as much as its a geeky thing to say we should be proud of what they are trying to achieve at the club, sustainability.

I can remember seeing an interview where nigel doherty was saying he isnt the owner of the club just a mere custodian for short time in its history, look at where his £100 million got them!!

Im by no means as much as a fan as some on here, and by no means a board in person,

Yes i know were your coming from about rome wasnt built in a day, But the club as got the potential to go much further, If there was a suffient amount of money, placed in the transfer kitty, (im not asking for Manchester City or Chelsea transfer funds because that would be silly) but just something around 10-12 million, there are alot of afford younger players who you could bring in with that kind of money.I think nigel as done a good job with the team. with the funds hes had, but everyone knows that if you want to make it to the top flight of English football and stay there you need to spend. And staying in that top flight for a few seasons would pay for those players nearly three times over.

please dont take me as having a dig,

firstly

there are a lot of youn english football players??

Really who do these play for, its alright buying these young rising stars but all of them have to be paid a salary as well,

its not as simple as just saying if we had this money we would get there,

if you were building a house to live in for the rest of your live,

would you want it done as quickly as possible with a mortgage you cant afford or would you do it slowly but surely in an affordable way.

I dont believe anyone can say derby are going backwards as a team on the pitch, we certainly dont seem to be going backwards off it and there are more things coming to fruition that will benefit it further.

But frankly we have no right to dictate to owners how to spend there money when we put in £50 ever other week into the kitty and they are putting in £xmillions a year!

They didnt get rich by wasting that money and I am sure there has been a lot of discussions on how to grow this asset!!

Quick Question if they were not commited to the club why on earth would they stick around and keep on covering losses (which may I add dont increase the asset value)

Like I said Im not having a dig just get a bit fed up of every other post that says we should go and buy xxx for £xxxxxxxxx

For every club it worked we could name 3 that it hasnt,

how much did doherty pump into our neighbours look where they are and they dont even own the ground!

How much would you like them to give him?

30 million?

50 million?

Rebuild the squad?

Haven't we done that about 5 times already in the last 5 1/2 years, when do we admit its his squad?

What happens if they spend another 50 million and we're still mid table, throw another 50 million at it?

I would just like to point a point of what a great job Nigel Clough is doing with the team, when he first was appointed as manager, there was alot off speculation, whether or not he could do the same job as father Brian(A legendary Derby manager that everyone loves and remembers 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> .) The problem is every since he been in charge of the team since January 2009, he as never had the transfer funds to bring in the top players, which means we will be a playoffs to mid-table team for a while to come. Although we have some great players at this moment in time, The likes of Will Hughes, Conner Sammon, Jeff Hendrick, Frank Fielding, Craig Bryson and well done to all the other team members who have just been call up for international duty. So i believe that the Board and the Chairman Andrew Appleby, should give Nigel the time and the funds he needs to rebuild the squad. Because I believe that he will team the team into one of the best. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

What have you been drinking? Paint thinner? It's stupid to say we need to rebuild the squad. The board have put in over £50 million since they took over, yes no all of its gone on transfers but it has gone on paying off players who were overpaid, and getting rid of a unsustainable wage bill.

We've got a midfielder that, if bought from an external source, would cost more than we could afford.

Can there be any greater advert for sustainability?

Just out of interest,how do you define sustainability?

Do you mean cash break even on operations,with the owners/player sales funding new players and debt charges (net interest)?

Or do you mean generating enough cash from operations to cover debt charges and help towards player purchases?

Or do you see it as something else?

I can tell you there seems little chance of achieving option 2,possibly even with near full houses.There'd need to be a fair bit of work done to achieve option 1.

Derby as a amazing following, us fans always turn out in force, we get the average attendance of around 23,000 supporters a a game which in fairness is more than some of the top teams, and when will get a attendance of around 33,000, when we play local derby games, that makes some serious revenue, as will as every one of them supporters, will buy food and drink while there, which there buying at a premium, shirt and kit sales, along with other manchandise, as well as programmes, going for £10-15 pound agame. there is alot of money going in.

No i havnt been drinking paint thinner, yes like you said they've put over 50million into the club, but how much of that as clough seen?? All us fans like to see signings, i am not asking to break the bank and splash out stupid amounts on wages and fee's. but how is it Cloughs fault, if we lose games, because we having got the players to keep us up there, i like what Clough s done with the club, with the players and such, but just to have a couple of stars in there would really boost the team, both in team morale and in league standings

Just out of interest,how do you define sustainability?

Do you mean cash break even on operations,with the owners/player sales funding new players and debt charges (net interest)?

Or do you mean generating enough cash from operations to cover debt charges and help towards player purchases?

Or do you see it as something else?

I can tell you there seems little chance of achieving option 2,possibly even with near full houses.There'd need to be a fair bit of work done to achieve option 1.

I define it as producing young talent that means we don't need to spend £xm on someone.

If I grow my own tomatoes I have a sustainable source of tomatoes. Other areas of my garden cost alot of money, but my tomatoes are some the best in the street, and people buying them will raise money to perhaps improve other areas of the garden.

I've been looking at a spreadsheet all day, I've lost the plot. Completely and utterly.

I define it as producing young talent that means we don't need to spend £xm on someone.

If I grow my own tomatoes I have a sustainable source of tomatoes. Other areas of my garden cost alot of money, but my tomatoes are some the best in the street, and people buying them will raise money to perhaps improve other areas of the garden.

I've been looking at a spreadsheet all day, I've lost the plot. Completely and utterly.

Problem is,we seem to be making underlying cash losses of around £3m -can this be defined as sustainable? It seems to me that you're suggesting selling players to fund this loss and buy new players?

Problem is,we seem to be making underlying cash losses of around £3m -can this be defined as sustainable? It seems to me that you're suggesting selling players to fund this loss and buy new players?

Not at all.

To be honest I'm a fan of the team rather than the club and its operations, I'm not a businessman. But if we're making losses then bringing good players through (which we are doing) rather than buying them HAS to be the right thing to do, rather than spunking cash on players.

That's the only point I'm making here.

Archived