Life, the universe and everything.

Boycie

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the current population growth, in 800 years, there'll be one person to every square metre of land. Apparently.

Scary stuff.

Hence why linear extrapolation isn't such a good idea. Current models which are actually reliable predict a collapse of Japan's population...

Excuse me, I'm not going to pretend I understand much of this. But how can anything predict a collapse of Japan's population? And how would that actually happen? I'm not getting it.

Anybody?

Lamens terms though please cos owt else would confuse me even more 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Excuse me, I'm not going to pretend I understand much of this. But how can anything predict a collapse of Japan's population? And how would that actually happen? I'm not getting it.

Anybody?

Lamens terms though please cos owt else would confuse me even more 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Without trying to confuse anyone, the comparison between the birth rate and death rate and the prediction of these in the future based on fitting current figures to a smooth curve.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Bdrates_of_Japan_since_1950.svg/1000px-Bdrates_of_Japan_since_1950.svg

Above is the birth and death rates thanks to wikipedia, whilst below is the predicted population (real in magenta, predicted in dark blue):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Population_of_Japan_since_1872.svg/1000px-Population_of_Japan_since_1872.svg

Hence why linear extrapolation isn't such a good idea. Current models which are actually reliable predict a collapse of Japan's population...

I was under the assumption that the trend would be population decline in the developed world and population explosion in the developing world. The overall trend would be a continuing rise in the global population.

The only groups in Western Europe that on prediction models are forecast large scale population growth are the newly assimilated or the descendants of heretofor (2nd or 3rd generation). The rest of the populus are generally predicted to have a birth rate insuperiour to the death rate. Changing face for sure across Europe.

I try not to watch too much blue, my eyes are getting terrible.

But, my theory is this. If you travel far enough you will end up where you started, a bit like a PAC man screen. Go off left, and appear on the right.

Can anybody prove me wrong?

Having read some of this thread, Im amazed by the level of intellect and discussion on here, something Ive not seen before on this forum.

Then there is Boycie, given he went to a school that was named after somone responsible for the earliest recorded sightings of the planet Uranus, I often think he misheard in that lesson and took it as being that he should talk out his...

Thankfully for me, because Pac man is about the only bit I understand on this thread :-)

Having read some of this thread, Im amazed by the level of intellect and discussion on here, something Ive not seen before on this forum.

Then there is Boycie, given he went to a school that was named after somone responsible for the earliest recorded sightings of the planet Uranus, I often think he misheard in that lesson and took it as being that he should talk out his...

Thankfully for me, because Pac man is about the only bit I understand on this thread :-)

Excuse me, unlike you, I was a good boy in class and listened. Unfortunately, it did me no good, and I had to rely on using my hands to make a living.

May I point you to the author of this thread?

I iz philopastryophical you know init.

Sorry for sounding thick but I hardly know anything about telescopes or their workings. Is that something to do with aligning the mirrors? I think there's something in the manual about it so I'll have a look. At the moment It's a case of "wow there it is! look! oh **** it's gone...."

I'm still learning about it all to be honest as it's all new to me but I should get the hang of it soon!

You're well into it then?

Yes, that's it. All collimation is making sure your primary (the mirror at the bottom) and your secondary mirror (the small one at the top that reflects the light from the primary into your eyepiece) are both pefectly aligned. It will probably need checking if you've had your scope a while and you will notice a big difference in the contrast, accuracy and brightness of what you are viewing.

Check your manual, and hopefully your scope came with a collimation device (looks a bit like an eyepiece). If not they are pretty cheap to buy. It sounds complicated but after a couple of attempts you will find it a doddle and will probably end up spending a couple of minutes collimating before using your scope every time.

I've got a semi-apo 5" frac on an AZ style mount. Nice and simple to use, just point and view really.

Jupiter will be getting better and better this month as it rises higher in the sky, what else have you seen?

Uranus is worth a bash too this month 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> but seriously it is. and yes I call it by the schoolboy pronounciation too.

Anybody?

Japan is unique though in this regard though, well actually them and probably South Korea too. It's ageing population is'nt unique compared to the rest of the developed world, but it's immigration policy is the difference by there is none. Even the sizeable Korean communities who have lived, worked and been born there for decades controversially do not have the right to full Japanese citizenship.

Japan get's critised for it's unwillingness to accept refugees (it winds the Aussies up no end), but they get round it similar to there non military support policy by just donating vast sums of money instead.

If you ever visit Japan you will get electronically fingerprinted linked to your passport and tourist visa on arrival. You cause any trouble no matter how minor or overstay, you will be deported on the next flight home once they catch you which they will.

Ageing population + declining indigenuous births + no immigration = population decline and one hell of an economic bombshell on the horizon.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me throw this one into the ring. (down JW!)

If the earth was created with a big bang. What created the universe?

The question is a subtle one in truth. Strictly speaking time started with the big bang under current definition and without time its a bit odd to speak about something "before" the big bang. The issue is that we see time as a linear progression of events, but when speaking about the beginning of the universe we have to consider a 'start of time'. This offers an interesting issue that isn't obvious at first in that in order to have a before you must have time, without time there is no before.

...let's take a step back though. The big bang isn't actually a theory of how the universe was created, its how the universe began. Think about the building of a house. Whilst the house starts being built when the workmen come and lay the foundations, the architect has already had to design the building. I'm not alluding to a God (or the God), but rather I'm just pointing something out here. This is much the same as how evolution doesn't explain the origin of life, rather it explains the complexity of life we see today. To continue the comparison abiogenesis is the theory of how life came to be, and there are theories of how the universe came to be, but we must not confuse what theories mean.

Getting back to what created the universe though... Who knows, we observe the universe as it is, and whilst we have clues about how it began, to figure out what created it is another question all together. As mentioned, there are ideas floating about, but its quite a complicated field. Who knows, maybe there is some kind of all powerful being, but ultimately the question must then be asked where did such a being come from. Why could such a being exist, or be self created if the universe itself couldn't?

Something must have existed to cause a big bang. Cause and effect.

Its a bit like the chicken and the egg.

Obviously, nobody can prove anything, which is why faith and gods are beleived in so much.

Thats a paltry statement.

Archived