What's Wrong With Cash

swansea ram

What's wrong with the big shops accepting cash these days.

I was at Curry's yesterday, when a couple paid for a tv with cash.

The cashier looked at and then tried to count it.

£750 in £20 & 10s, simple.

Maybe not, he called his supervisor over to ask if he could accept it, then had 3 go's at counting it, then called his supervisor back over who had 2 attemts of counting it before accepting it.

I had a similar experience in Makro a few years ago.

I went to the counter with £240 in tenners, and the girl had to go into the office to get permission to take them, even though my card says "CASH ONLY" and this is a trade only warehouse.

Anyone else had anything similar happen to them.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not, he called his supervisor over to ask if he could accept it, then had 3 go's at counting it, then called his supervisor back over who had 2 attemts of counting it before accepting it.

I went to the counter with £240 in tenners, and the girl had to go into the office to get permission to take them, even though my card says "CASH ONLY" and this is a trade only warehouse.

Think it depends on the staff,

seen people pay £5k cash in a shop before but i once bought paid £100 in comet with 2 £50s and you would think I handed them a gold nugget he was that confused what to do!

Checked them like 10 times

Shouldn't you have posted this in the "Tax Dodging" thread?

theres too much stigma attached to cash though, I prefer paying in it.

With cards if I go shopping with the missus I have no clue what I have spent in the day whereas with mr cash when my wallets empty I know I have spent too much!

SillyBilly

The transition from cash to plastic has been happening for years, slowly but surely. I have a new card where I can supposedly pay small bills without even typing my pin in, there is a special chip thingy on the back, the only limitation is the number of places able to process it at present. I've never used it nor have the intention of doing so. I stock my wallet with cash then go to a cash machine when I run out. I think the reason why people run up so much debt these days is because its easy to forget how much you are spending when the notes aren't physically taken out of your hand.

I have to say though, I don't spend much anyway. My wife does the shopping, both food and retail and just about everything else. I just have beer and petrol money which suits me fine. I can see why its easier for people who are here, there and everywhere.

These off topic chats are great, in a few days everyone will know what a grumpy bugger I am.

I have to use cards but i hate them with a passion. I only use debit cards when I need to travel as it gets pretty embarassing paying cash for a hotel room. They really do treat you like a criminal if you want to try to pay them with pound notes. (euros)

I transfer enough onto the card to cover the trip and then double it for the robbing thieving barstards "deposits"

I hate the deposits they take more than anythng else in the world.

I pay for a room and I have to give them another 150-300 quid to cover the fact I might steal the peanuts. That money gets kept for a week.

When I rent a car they take 250 quid "deposit" and they keep that for 10-14 days..

Even though I've bought the insurance, I've paid for the full tank of fuel and I've paid for the tom tom (which I've also got to leave a deposit on)

For credit cards @19% APR or whatever as well, I just dont see the point. If there was a point where I didnt have any money in my account, I'm not going to pay someone 20% to let me spend money I dont have..

Banks want shot to be fair. In general they are a group of piss takers with what they charge you for.

But those complaints aren't anything to do with cards though?

I use cards everywhere, I hate it if somewhere only accepts cash, it usually means they've lost a sale. That's pretty rare these days though as they lose so much trade.

Archived