Or close the walls up with our English dead,

In peace there is nothing so becomes a man

as modest stillness and humility.

But when the blast of battle rings in his ears

disguise fair nature with hard favoured rage

Stiffen the sinews summon the blood

Honour your spirits and upon this charge cry

God for harry, England and Saint George!"

I for one am proud to be English (but sometimes ashamed of our football team) and agree with Mrs Ram that we should have a bank holiday in ENGLAND on April 23rd. Although St George was probably mythical history has since had shakespeare's dates of birth and death as 23rd April. Move the Mayday bank holiday (with its left wing implications) if need be.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not British i'm English thats all i have to say

I agree totally. and I'm certainly not European. We have come to a sorry state when we can't be proud to be English without being thought racist. I live in a multi ethnic area and we all get on together fine. I fly a St Geprge's flag when England are in a major competition, I will also fly it during the Queen's diamond jubilee.

I always put my ethnic origin as "other" and write in "English".

I agree totally. and I'm certainly not European. We have come to a sorry state when we can't be proud to be English without being thought racist. I live in a multi ethnic area and we all get on together fine. I fly a St Geprge's flag when England are in a major competition, I will also fly it during the Queen's diamond jubilee.

I always put my ethnic origin as "other" and write in "English".

I put mixed race, as parents are Irish and I was born in Derby, I suppose that makes me Deirish.....hmm might take it as a surname and change my first first name to LuckO!!

Archived