Jordan Mutch

vicky-27

I made right choice, says rising Birmingham City star Mutch

JORDON Mutch has insisted that he made the right decision to quit Derby County and follow Terry Westley to Blues.

From Alvaston in Derbyshire, the midfielder felt he could further his career better at St Andrew’s under the tutelage of the Academy supremo. And that’s how it has turned out so far.

“No, no regrets, it’s been OK since moving from Derby,†said Mutch, who left in 2007 and has signed a professional deal for Blues. “I have improved a lot and it’s been better for me. I have pushed into the first team more, the manager has believed in me, so it has been good.â€

Mutch received high praise from Alex McLeish after Blues secured his services until 2011.

The Blues boss recalled the first few times he came across Mutch, who used to be despatched from Academy training to the senior group at Wast Hills.

“When he came to train with us on number of occasions I used to think to myself ‘this kid can’t only be 15’.

“His maturity was astonishing, he had a great presence, and now he’s a young man. There’s similarities to Michael Carrick in style, and we certainly hope he turns out to be a player like him.

“We wish Jordon all the best and we’re sure he will be a big star for Birmingham City in the future.â€

Mutch said he was grateful to McLeish for giving him a break in pre-season on the tour to Austria, then at Southampton in the Carling Cup.

And he vowed that he would keep upping his game so McLeish had to consider making him a regular.

“I think there’s a lot of things I need to improve on. I need to score more, I need to build up with power and get stronger, more physical. I have loads of time to do that.â€

Blues have paid £80,000 to the Rams so far in compensation for Mutch, who could be worth more than 100 times that amount if he realises his potential as predicted.

One we should of kept ?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived