Money Money Money

EdinburghRam

As we all know money makes the way go round and unfortunately I don't have the money I need. I'd like to study in North America but the fees are so incredibly large, around 30k a year. There's pretty much no way I could ever save that up in the next few years so I'm looking at either loans or bursaries. Problem is being 18, getting a loan that large is going to be almost impossible, anyone got any advice?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enrol on a degree course here that involves study time in the States. I know Nottingham Uni offer a North American Studies degree that involves 1 year of study over the pond, I believe that the Uni pays your travel and makes grants/bursaries available for living expenses, course fee is the same as it would be for the year here. There must be other Uni's in the UK offering similar.

Enrol on a degree course here that involves study time in the States. I know Nottingham Uni offer a North American Studies degree that involves 1 year of study over the pond, I believe that the Uni pays your travel and makes grants/bursaries available for living expenses, course fee is the same as it would be for the year here. There must be other Uni's in the UK offering similar.

yeah I actually already have a place at Lancaster Uni that involves a year in Canada but while this is good it's never going to be as good as the real thing. I'm prepared to get into major debts (probably stupid) in order to do it but I just need to find someone willing to sponsor me. Anyone got a spare 100k lying about?

Or enrol on a course in Scotland where uni is fee free, they must have some swap over the pond scheme as well....:D

They do but I really don't want to stay here, Can't wait to escape

Yeah, but is it because you want to live there, or because the subject your studying is taught at a higher standard there? I realise Scotland must be horrid and you want to move as far away as possible but my mate went to Lancaster to study History and Politics and said it was a great uni.

Got his brown wings there aswell ;)

p.s Big Bens Bell weighs 30,000 pound.

Yeah, but is it because you want to live there, or because the subject your studying is taught at a higher standard there? I realise Scotland must be horrid and you want to move as far away as possible but my mate went to Lancaster to study History and Politics and said it was a great uni.

Got his brown wings there aswell ;)

p.s Big Bens Bell weighs 30,000 pound.

The level of teaching is higher in my chosen subject, getting an education would really really put me ahead of what I could get here. I think it's worth well over 100,000 over my life, problem is I just need the money now. I wouldn't really say I wanted to live there, maybe for a few years but I definitely see myself settling down in England somewhere.

not sure of the Big Ben reference but proud of your mate, Lancaster does sound good, but maybe not just for me

Still think your mad even contemplating paying that much....reminds me of the Chinese that came over to do their Masters at Cov uni. Cost them about £17,000 for 9 months.

I said they were mad.....they said i was mad.

Point is though, it was worth it for them because it was a degree in another language..... very valuable degree.

£30,000 a year...Christ, i hope your chosen subject isn't Performing Arts.

Still think your mad even contemplating paying that much....reminds me of the Chinese that came over to do their Masters at Cov uni. Cost them about £17,000 for 9 months.

I said they were mad.....they said i was mad.

Point is though, it was worth it for them because it was a degree in another language..... very valuable degree.

£30,000 a year...Christ, i hope your chosen subject isn't Performing Arts.

Your not just paying for the degree though, it's everything that comes with it. If I go, and do well, it sets me up for life.

Luckily it's not, Accountancy. A top North American business school gives me such a better chance of achieving my goals than an English one

Hmmm, Accountancy is a... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well good luck to you in finding the money. It does sound like an amazing thing to do, but i think you would be better off in a British Uni money-wise, even in the long-run.

Maybe Ramblur could offer you an appreticeship/sponsorship :D

Bet they don't have as many traffic cones and roadsigns as we do over here....just saying.

Hmmm, Accountancy is a... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well good luck to you in finding the money. It does sound like an amazing thing to do, but i think you would be better off in a British Uni money-wise, even in the long-run.

Maybe Ramblur could offer you an appreticeship/sponsorship :D

Bet they don't have as many traffic cones and roadsigns as we do over here....just saying.

You won't be saying that when i'm Glick's boss.

I'm writing to the big 4 accountancy companies looking for bursaries, they have a program here where they pay you 120,000 over 6 years, to study at birmingham, durham or exeter provided you work for them afterwards. KPMG School leavers program for anyone interested

You won't be saying that when i'm Glick's boss.

I'm writing to the big 4 accountancy companies looking for bursaries, they have a program here where they pay you 120,000 over 6 years, to study at birmingham, durham or exeter provided you work for them afterwards. KPMG School leavers program for anyone interested

one of my best friends did a uni course in accountacy at newcastle uni, in association with price waterhouse and cooper. it was a 4 year course and a year is spent working in a pwc office. she did her placement in birmingham. but i beleive you could do it in new york (as shes gone over since for placements in new york and chicago, i think)

any way the long and short of it is she graduated 2 years ago, and is now earning mega bucks in london, and has been offered a job in hong kong by them too.

id say you could still make it in the uk doing it that way.

and lancaster uni is mint, one of my mates went there, i have no recollection of that weekend, always a good sign!

Archived