Possible link to a Canadian Soccer Academy

davenportram

I'm sure some of you will be thinking "great another link to some academy that will do nothing for us, another gimmick from this board"

Well you would be wrong. This Academy us run by our very own former captain Robertus Petrus 'Robin' Van der Laan.

It is mentioned at the end of today's Foot in Both Camps column in the Programme.

"if your genuine and treat every game like a fan they respect you. If a fan had the opportunity to play for their club they'd run themselves into the ground.

I tried to have that attitude as a player and ran my socks off in each game. You can't play well in every game, but you can still add value to the team if you're trying."

Robin, who now combines his role as Man Utd international Head Coach with running his own Soccer Academy in Canada, hopes to I still those qualities in the next generation of Players.

He's also hopeful that the school can team up with Derby to provide a Canadian conveyor belt of talent to Pride Park.

If future imports are as committed to the cause as he was future managers will have no problem recruiting from overseas.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be quite good. I would have thought though that United would get anyone that was good as they are his employers, but I guess Uniteds and our definition of a good player greatly differ.

I always wondered what is VDL's link to working for United? Would love it if he worked here.

Then again I think it would be good if we got alot of former players involved in the club a bit more (like United and Liverpool do) if only to instil a bit of local pride and character to the team and a link to the good old days. Could always get Roy Macfarland as an advisore to Clough?!

Going of topic now, good spot!

I'm sure some of you will be thinking "great another link to some academy that will do nothing for us, another gimmick from this board"

Well you would be wrong. This Academy us run by our very own former captain Robertus Petrus 'Robin' Van der Laan.

It is mentioned at the end of today's Foot in Both Camps column in the Programme.

"if your genuine and treat every game like a fan they respect you. If a fan had the opportunity to play for their club they'd run themselves into the ground.

I tried to have that attitude as a player and ran my socks off in each game. You can't play well in every game, but you can still add value to the team if you're trying."

Robin, who now combines his role as Man Utd international Head Coach with running his own Soccer Academy in Canada, hopes to I still those qualities in the next generation of Players.

He's also hopeful that the school can team up with Derby to provide a Canadian conveyor belt of talent to Pride Park.

If future imports are as committed to the cause as he was future managers will have no problem recruiting from overseas.

If only that attitude was more common amongst players - I can live with a player having a bad day (I have bad days at work too) as long as they still give it their all. I used to play rugby at a fairly decent level and one thing you find with that game is you have to give it your all otherwise you get badly hurt.

Happy to have links to clubs / academies that employ people like Robbie

Archived