Rams secure new investor

Day

Technology giant Jeff Mallett joins Derby County, as Andy Appleby hails another 'stellar' addition to the ownership group General Sports and Entertainment.

Canadian born entrepreneur Jeff Mallett has today (Friday March 20) been revealed as the latest member of Derby County's investment group GS&E.

Rams Chairman Andy Appleby has welcomed the addition to the club's ownership, describing him as "an outstanding business mind, steeped in professional sport and with a genuine love of football".

GS&E, under the stewardship of Appleby and his management team, have now enjoyed a successful 14-month period since taking over Derby County, assembling a diverse and formidable investment group.

Mallett, best known for helping build internet giant Yahoo! from its start-up phase into the global franchise it is today, was a keen footballer in his teenage years, eventually being selected as an 'All American' and captain of San Francisco State University soccer team, as well as an 'All Canadian' at the University of Victoria in Canada.

He's also spent the last eight years successfully involved with professional sport at the highest level in North America, including his ownership role with the San Francisco Giants baseball team.

His most recent achievement was leading the successful bid for a Major League Soccer franchise for North America's longest running professional soccer club, the Vancouver Whitecaps, whose former players include Rams legends Kevin Hector and Alan Hinton.

This fulfils a long-term ambition for Mallett, who has supported the team all his life and will start their MLS campaign in 2011.

He also has other strong connections to football, including his role as a principle investor in the Womens Professional Soccer League in the USA and a strategic adviser to the commissioner and board of governors of the WPSL.

Jeff Mallett says becoming part of Derby County was a decision made with his heart and his head.

"With its proud history, heritage and phenomenal supporter base, Derby County is a tremendous organisation to part of," he said.

"However, it's not the club's past that excites me most, it's our future and the part that we, as an ownership group, can play in helping the Rams reach their full potential.

"Andy Appleby and his management team have done a fantastic job by bringing stability and responsible tenure to this club.

"They also have a clear vision and plan on how to take the Club forward to the next level and beyond. It is a project I just have to be part of.

"Football has a special place in my heart and remains one of my great passions having played the game for so many years.

"Watching Vancouver Whitecaps was a highlight of my childhood years and I will never forget seeing Kevin Hector play there in the 1980s.

"I am excited to be able to bring that passion and my expertise in professional sport to the table at Pride Park and play my part in the bright future Derby County has."

Derby County Chairman Andy Appleby says with Jeff Mallett on board, the Rams' investment group is an organisation that would rival any in football club management.

"Jeff has an outstanding business mind, steeped in professional sport and a love of football," he said.

"He has a track record of success in everything he is involved in.

"To have a man of his calibre as part of our group is a tremendous endorsement for the vision we have for Derby County.

He is another stellar name, joining a team of passionate and talented people who are bringing stability and success to Pride Park."

Jeff Mallet biog:

Jeffrey Mallett was most recently the Chairman of SNOCAP, and has a rich history and proven experience in growing technology companies. As president and chief operating officer for Yahoo Inc. from 1995-2002, Mallett helped drive extraordinary growth and success for the company while simultaneously serving as an elected member of the Board of Directors.

He is also a director and member of the board of technology leader Synacor inc, a leading provider of digital web services to broadband carriers throughout North America.

Mallett joined Yahoo in 1995, when the private company consisted of 12 employees and had no revenue. He helped the company go public in 1996, and during his seven year tenure, Mallett helped build Yahoo into one of the most recognisable entertainment and media brands in the world. By 2002, Mallett managed a global workforce of 4,000 employees in 27 countries, with $1 billion in revenue, and had overseen more than 20 acquisitions for the company.

Mallett is currently an owner and executive committee member of the San Francisco Giants. Prior to his tenure at Yahoo, Mallett was vice president and general manager of the consumer products division of Novell, Inc. and a member of Novell's global marketing board, where he was involved with the merger of Novell and WordPerfect Corp. in 1994. He was a founding executive team member and vice president of Reference Software, an independent worldwide leader in consumer software language services, and led the company to a successful acquisition by WordPerfect in 1992. He also served as director of the Canadian-based telecommunications company Island Pacific Telephone, where Jeff drove the start-up's growth and development until it was acquired by telecommunications giant Cable and Wireless in 1987.

Mallett lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with his wife of 22 years and their two children.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived