Clough wants to extend Kuqi, Moore & Noble loans

Day

DERBY County plan to talk to Shefki Kuqi and Swansea City in the next few weeks about extending the striker's stay at Pride Park.

Kuqi is with the Rams for 93 days – the longest period a club can sign a player on an emergency loan.

He is due to return to Swansea after the away game against Bristol City on December 11 but the Rams are keen to take the Finland international back on loan when the transfer window opens in January.

The 33-year-old has made four appearances and helped the Rams to beat Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough, and draw at Barnsley.

He scored in the 5-0 home victory over Palace.

"I don't think we have too many like Shefki in the squad," said Derby manager Nigel Clough.

"We haven't got any who give us that sort of presence up front.

"So, if he is amenable and Swansea are, we will try to look to maybe extend Shefki's loan.

"He has to go back to Swansea in December for a couple of weeks until January 1, when the transfer window opens again.

"But we will start talking to him and Swansea in the next few weeks about what they want to do after that."

Clough has been impressed by Kuqi's contribution since he arrived just before the defeat at Hull.

Kuqi is one of four players on loan with the Rams.

Spanish forward Alberto Bueno is on a season-long loan and both Luke Moore and Ryan Noble are on short-term stays.

"We have been very pleased with Luke and Ryan," said Clough.

"We are light in the striker department and we saw how much we needed them at Swansea on Saturday.

"Luke played 65 minutes and then Ryan came on and completed the game for us.

"So we could do with keeping them all around if we can."

Moore's 29-day loan from West Bromwich Albion expires after the game at Millwall on October 23.

Noble is on a month's loan from Sunderland. He arrived on September 27.

Paul Green's chances of adding to his five international caps for the Republic of Ireland this week have improved following the withdrawal from the squad of Blackburn Rovers midfielder Keith Andrews.

Green started Ireland's two Euro 2012 qualifiers last month in the absence of Andrews, who is now ruled out of Friday night's clash with Russia in Dublin and Tuesday's trip to Slovakia due to a groin injury.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Clough-keen-Kuqi-striker-s-deal-runs/article-2723748-detail/article.html

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we probably need a striker, but apart from that what else do we need? loans seem to be working at the moment and if Kuqi was a little younger then I would be all for signing him permanently
We need a central mifield player maybe the Notts lad, and we need a right back, and a center half( one that will actually play ).

Other than that we may be OK:)

We need a central mifield player maybe the Notts lad, and we need a right back, and a center half( one that will actually play ).

Other than that we may be OK:)

I don't think we need a new right back, Brayford is excellent and Green has shown that he can fill in there nicely. Bailey can probably play there as well if needs be. Hopefully we'll have Anderson back after the break and then Leacock and Buxton won't be far between. A midfielder would be helpful but isn't really vital, we have plenty of players that can play there

Agree we dont really need a right back Green and Leacock is enough cover I'm sure Buxton would give 110% if he was played there!

Give Kuqi a contract till end of season and in Jan lets sign younger versions of Kuqi and Savage and i will be happy!

So what happens if Brayford and Green are injured or suspended,Maybe we could play Bueno :)

We can only extend noble and moore's loans until December. Clough has only mentioned Kuqi beyond December, so you'd think so wouldn't ya?

But we need a right back first ;)

Highly debateable.

We've played 2 games without a right-back and conceded one goal, which came from questionable defending from Moxey, our left back.

I would think we need left-back cover. Moxey's fine, but he seems to lose form when he's the only available left-back - he needs competition to thrive.

But Roberts is back in training???

You think we should have 3 left backs and 1 right back??? Change your batteries, Bunny me olde

Well, when you look at it that way.... :redface:

Basically, I don't rate Moxey too much on his own yet, and even Clough himself was after a LB, and we're managing fine at RB at the moment. I don't think we need either, a striker or centre back would be my first port of call.

In January, I'd like to see us get Kuqi on loan for the rest of the season, same with Noble. I'd send Isaac back to West Brom and try to sign a striker permanently.

I'd also like to see Ben Davies come in.

In terms of defence, a lower league utility defender would be the ideal signing for me. Someone with a bit of experience, but not too old, to come in and cover along the back line, or at least right-back and centre-back. Since it's only as cover, we don't want to spend a fortune in wages... but we are a little bit light.

Highly debateable.

We've played 2 games without a right-back and conceded one goal, which came from questionable defending from Moxey, our left back.

I would think we need left-back cover. Moxey's fine, but he seems to lose form when he's the only available left-back - he needs competition to thrive.

I was taking the piddle out of Smiffy honey bunny.

I have to agree in an ideal world we could do with a RB. Just because certain players can play there it doesn't mean they belong there. When Green played RB we played well, but i felt we missed Green in midfield AND missed Brayford flying down the right.

Same with Bailey, we might get away with his position being covered but it'll have a knock on effect and we'll be coming up short somewhere.

As for Buxton, he'd give 110% at RB but he'd be exposed for pace and he'd offer no forward threat for fear of being exposed. As a CB i prefer him to Leacock and rate him as much as Anderson but i don't think he could ever play anywhere else in the side.

Only a mad man would rely on Leacock until he's proven he can string games together.

But i suppose it's not an ideal world and a RB comes after a striker for certain. Kuqi has given this team a whole new dimension. I hope Nigel puts all the rescources he has into getting Kuqi for longer. Infact if he wasn't 33 i'd love to see us sign him....... actually at 33 i'd still love to see us sign him. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing a big, hard tackling heavy unit arrive for the DM role. Someone of the Olofinjana mould. When it comes to a midfield battle we look lightweight. The lads look class when their given space and time to express themselves, but when the game isn't so nice i'd like to have a "hard man" to battle.

A nice cheap RB that Nigels spotted in the lower divisions to cover for Brayford would be a bonus if we can squeeze one into our budget. ;)

Archived