Blatter sorry for disallowed goal

Day

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has apologised to the Football Association over Frank Lampard's disallowed goal in England's World Cup defeat by Germany.

Lampard was denied a goal in Sunday's 4-1 defeat, even though his shot clearly crossed the line.

He said the debate on goal-line technology would be reopened when the International FA Board meets in July.

Blatter also said sorry to Mexico after Argentina's Carlos Tevez scored from an offside position in their last 16 game.

Lampard's strike came during a spell of England dominance and would have levelled the score at 2-2.

"It is obvious that after the experiences so far at this World Cup it would be a nonsense not to re-open the file on goal-line technology," said Blatter.

The Tevez goal - the first in Argentina's 3-1 win - was replayed on the screens in the stadium, meaning players and fans could see the officials' mistake.

"Personally I deplore it when you see evident referee mistakes but it's not the end of a competition or the end of football, this can happen," said Blatter.

"The only thing I can do is yesterday I have spoken to the two federations (England and Mexico) directly concerned by referees mistakes.

"I have expressed to them apologies and I understand they are not happy and that people are criticising.

"We will naturally take on board the discussion on technology and have first opportunity in July at the business meeting."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8771294.stm

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived