Clough looking to give Commons & Davies new deals

Day

DERBY County will look to offer new contracts to forwards Kris Commons and Steve Davies – if they can prove their fitness next season.

Both players were plagued by injury during the 2009-10 campaign and are about to enter the final year of their current deals.

Manager Nigel Clough believes the duo have the talent to be among the top performers in the Championship but is looking for them to produce on a far more consistent basis.

Hamstring problems restricted Commons to 24 appearances last term and only 14 starts.

Davies was also hampered by his hamstrings and required surgery on an ankle towards the end of the campaign.

He made 22 appearances in all competitions – and only nine starts.

Both are doing their utmost to make sure they return to pre-season training in the best possible condition.

Davies, 22, has already been working on his strength and conditioning at the club's Moor Farm training ground, while 26-year-old Commons is due in next week.

Rams chief executive Tom Glick said: "In Kris Commons and Steven Davies, we have, in the manager's opinion, two of the most talented players in the Championship.

"The challenge with them has been fitness and continues to be.

"Both are coming back in early, which shows a great attitude.

"It shows their personal commitment towards having a great season for themselves and for Derby County. You can't ask for any more than that.

"I'm thrilled to see it, particularly as they've done it on their own initiative, and it bodes well for the new season."

Glick, who has just returned from the Football League's annual conference in Malta, added: "Our bias is towards extending the contracts of both players.

"However, we and the players want to make sure they have a good pre-season and good start to the season."

Clough did not hide his frustration at having Commons and Davies unavailable for much of last season – but Glick insists that is only because he does not want to see their talent wasted.

"If there is any frustration shown by Nigel Clough regarding either Kris Commons or Steven Davies, I think it is just because he cares so much about them and because he knows how talented they are," said Glick.

"It's a bit like having a Ferrari in the driveway but not being able to take it out on the road. But I would emphasis that both players are in good fitness right now and we're excited about what they can do next season."

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Kris-Steve-new-deals/article-2292755-detail/article.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic news!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because...........

"In Kris Commons and Steven Davies, we have, in the manager's opinion, two of the most talented players in the Championship."

And I agree totally, 100%, no exceptions....well apart from Davies.

Anyhow I think it's great news that Commons will be offered a new deal if he can prove his fitness, can hardly justify giving him a new contract if he can only manage half a season aywot Trig?

Anyhow I think it's great news that Commons will be offered a new deal if he can prove his fitness, can hardly justify giving him a new contract if he can only manage half a season aywot Trig?

if thats the case , ive got more chance of meeting the pope!

Kris Commons says he wants to stay at Derby County beyond this summer of 2011, which is when his current contract with the Club expires.

The Scottish forward has returned early for pre season training, working hard to ensure he is fit and sharp for the start of the new campaign.

Rams CEO Tom Glick has already stated that the Club see Commons as part of their long term future; hinting discussions on a new deal could start early in season.

Kris Commons says his goal is to earn a new contract at the Rams:

"I want to stay at Derby, no question of that at all.

"I'm in my last year and the onus is on me to stay fit, be in the side and to perform well.

"The Club have said that if all goes well they would envisage opening discussions relatively early in the season.

"That would be superb as it ultimately helps your football to be settled and no distracted.

"My last year at Forest was dominated by talk of contracts and to be honest it affected me.

"I think the manager and his staff have some great ideas and plans for the future and if we have success here on the pitch it will be a great place to be.

"I love playing at Pride Park and I'm already excited about the new season."

Kris Commons was speaking exclusively to dcfc.co.uk

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2073756,00.html

Archived