James Bailey - Crewe

vicky-27

Derby expected to sign James Bailey and Brayford in deal worth around £1m - according to radio derby.

James Joseph Bailey (born 18 September 1988 in Bollington, Cheshire) is an English footballer currently playing for Crewe Alexandra. The midfielder made his first-team debut in December 2007, however this was to be his sole appearance of the 2007-08 campaign. During the first half of the 2008-09 season he was a regular fixture in the first-team - wikie stats :rolleyes:

Off os site

The Academy graduate has forced his way into the starting X1 after an impressive pre-season campaign in 2008. The Macclesfield-born youngster originally signed professional forms in the summer of 2007 and made his debut as a late substitute in a 4-0 defeat to Doncaster Rovers in December.

Bailey's mature displays against the likes of Wrexham, Hull City and Preston in the summer saw him start the new season in the centre of the Crewe midfield alongside Michael O'Connor. Bailey made his full debut against Brighton and has since gone on to be an influential part of the Alex midfield. However, towards the end of the 2008/2009 season injury kept him on the sidelines to end what had been a fantastic season for him. He now looks to transfer that initial success into the new campaign.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read further on tho not all comments are like that.

In response to the bag of sweets..

I enjoy reading your posts Matt but if you really think that about Bailey you don't know much about Football.

Time will tell but this could be a shrewd bit of business by young Clough.

I for one would have like to have seen a bit more Bailey, another lad who like Westy has the potential to go all the way.

Would prefer to keep them both but, if the figures are right, there's no way we can afford to turn that down.

cash talks - no choice IMO

£1m decent price

Beauty of opinions, if we all thought the same what a boring world we'd live in. Just have to wait and see if they come in and improve the squad, look at Stern John who couldn't buy a goal for us yet bangs them in elsewhere, Whittingham was ***** for us and look at him now.

Some more on this forum

Cant say im too bothered about Bailey, he's a steady player but westy is twice as good. Good business i think

Fair enough. Is Bailey as good as Pringle? And are Derby fans not expecting a decent season. James Bailey is ok and has potential and i like him, but he's hardly a key player yet in League 2 so why is he going to make a difference to Derby in the Championship? It's not a dig at you, or Bailey or Clough, i'm concerned it's too far too soon and could mess up his future.

Bailey is nowhere near Championship ready in my eyes so to get more for him than we did for O'Connor is a great bit of business. Brayford will be missed.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=168&fid=90&sty=2&act=1&mid=2121604760

That word "potential" keeps popping up again, another season at Crewe and his value could have doubled if he had a decent season alerting a load of clubs.

Look at Charlie Austin at Swindon, who had heard of him a couple seasons ago when he was at Poole and still a bricklayer? now you hear fees of £2m being mentioned.

Bailey could be another of those that comes in and goes straight out on loan for the season to a League 1 club maybe, gets the added experience and hopefully is ready for the first team.

Crewe Alexandra have accepted a bid from Derby County for John Brayford and James Bailey and the players are now free to speak personal terms with Rams boss Nigel Clough and undergo routine medical tests.

Nigel Clough has been chasing the young pair since the conclusion of the 2009/10 season and both are expected to finalise a deal in the next 48 hours.

Crewe boss Dario Gradi told the club's official web-site: "We are very close to a deal now. Everything has been agreed between the two clubs and both players are eager to go to Derby. They have not signed yet but we do not envisage any problems.

"It is a good deal for all parties and as is our way, we wouldn't stand in their way if a club like Derby comes in for them."

http://www.crewealex.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10414~2054584,00.html

According to radio derby theu had their medicals on friday :confused:

Crewe Alexandra boss Dario Gradi firmly believes that both John Brayford and James are well equipped to step up into the Coca-Championship with Derby County. Both players are on the verge of a move to Pride Park after the two clubs agreed on a transfer fee for the pair and Gradi feels that Nigel Clough won't be disappointed with his new recruits once the deal is fully concluded.

Dario told crewealex.net: "People always tell me it is too early for our players to move on and that they could do with another year in our first-team but these two are ready. We have said it with a lot of players that it is too early for them but they have gone on and stepped up a level.

"James has come in and done very well. He was something of a late developer with us and we had to be patient with him to allow him to develop physically. He didn't look as though he was going to be playing in our first team when we was very young, but when he reached the Under-14s, I thought he would. He has come a long way.

"He is certainly good enough to play in the Championship. He has great ability and will improve as well.

"John came to us from non-league and has become our best defender at both right-back and at centre-back. John is someone Nigel (Clough) knows well because he was the one who sold him to us in the first place from Burton.

"He was a super signing for us. He went virtually into our first team and his progress has been very good. People ask me what he is like and I do compare him to Jon Otsemobor and he has played in the Championship and higher.

"John has a great desire to get forward and is a fine defender and would be a good signing for anyone. He has been low maintenance throughout his time with us and has been a super lad."

http://www.crewealex.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10414~2054607,00.html

Archived