MICKEY THOMAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER

GB SPORTS

Just a thought for Mickey Thomas who has been diagnosed with cancer.

I know he was only on loan at our great club, but he has been one of the games characters (albeit not always in +ve manner).

But hope you win the fight Mickey and I am sure those of us who had the good fortune to enjoy the run-in in the Third division in 1986 wish you all the best.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember him taking a dive to win a pen at York. Went down like Lee Harvey Oswald was on the main stand roof. Rolled around a bit, ref gave the pen and he stuck thumbs up to Bobby D and jumped straight up. 

Won 3-1 if i recall correctly.

The team bus dropped Andy Garner (Sub that day) at Swanwick Island and we gave him a lift home to Stonebroom.

Not every day you give a player a lift home

Memories eh.... now where did I put my pint?

All the best to Mickey. He played his part under King Arthur.

I remember being on the Colombo terrace one Wednesday night game.

Can’t remember if Micky started or came on as sub but he did a lung busting run beat a couple of players and blazed over from the angle.

The chant went up ... ”Micky, gissa a wave, Micky, Micky, gissa wave” and he immediately gave us the thumbs up.

Some fruit loop at the back of the terrace went into a rant over this for about 5 minutes shouting, probably at himself “We said a clucking wave Micky you thick Welsh  ....” 

When they show his goal for Wrexham against Arsenal in the FA Cup I always think back to his loan period to us and that incident. 

Hope he’s okay,

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace 

Archived