Rams will offer Anderson a new deal

Day

DERBY County plan to open talks with defender Russell Anderson over a new contract.

Rams manager Nigel Clough sees the 31-year-old Scottish international as one of his four centre-halves for next season, along with Shaun Barker, Dean Leacock and Jake Buxton.

Anderson (pictured) had his contract at Sunderland cancelled by mutual consent in January and he signed a short-term deal with Derby which expires at the end of the season.

He has started the last four games in a centre-back partnership with Barker.

"We are looking to do something with Russell," said Clough.

"I spoke to him a few weeks back and said as soon as we guarantee our position in the Championship then we will be better-placed to talk about a deal.

"It is just a case of saying we are going to be in the Championship next season and here's what we can offer you.

"As soon as we can do that, we will be talking to Russell."

Anderson's attitude, battling qualities and performances have impressed Clough and his coaching staff.

"Even before Russell came into the team we knew we wanted him around and we want him as one of the four centre-halves next season," said Clough.

"We are very happy in that department with Shaun Barker, Jake Buxton, Dean Leacock and Russell. We think they are four good centre-halves for the Championship."

The Rams are unbeaten in four matches and edged closer to safety in the division when they beat Leicester City at the weekend.

When Anderson completed the game against Middlesbrough two weeks ago it was his first competitive 90 minutes of action in 18 months, since he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury while on loan at Burnley from Sunderland in September 2008.

"Russell's attitude is spot on in training and matches," said Clough.

"I think he has shown his experience and he will benefit when he gets a full pre-season behind him."

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Rams-offer-Russ-new-deal/article-1957731-detail/article.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering the guy has been out for 18 months i think he has done ok up till now. It has got to be a good move would think he is fairly cheap on the wages front.Brings plenty of experience and at the worst would provide better back up than Buxton.

SCOTTISH international Russell Anderson says he would be interested in staying at Derby County if offered a new deal.

Derby plan to open talks with the 31-year-old centre-half once safety in the Championship is secured.

Anderson's short-term contract runs to the end of the season and he has started the last four games alongside Shaun Barker at the heart of the Rams' defence.

Manager Nigel Clough sees Anderson as one of his four centre-halves next season, the other three being Barker, Dean Leacock and Jake Buxton.

Miles Addison, another option at centre-back, faces up to a year on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on his foot.

Anderson signed in January after his contract at Sunderland was cancelled by mutual consent.

"If I was offered a new deal then it would definitely be something I would be interested in because I have enjoyed my time here," said the former Aberdeen player.

"I am getting regular games now, but obviously I had to wait a little while to get into the team.

"I appreciate the position the club is in because first and foremost we have to make sure we get the results right between now and the end of the season and then they can concentrate on looking at what they are going to do next season.

"The immediate aim is the remaining games and once that is out of the way they will speak to me about what their thoughts are for next season."

Clough has been impressed by Anderson's attitude and performances.

"We will look to try and keep Russell. I'm sure he will have one or two other offers but he has enjoyed it the few months he has been here," said Clough. "He is just what everybody had said about him – a very steady, solid, reliable player."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/football/Anderson-keen-discuss-new-Rams-deal/article-1967337-detail/article.html

Archived