Style of play

biellaram

Haven't posted on here for at least 10 years.

I'm surprised that we are all talking about the formation and the midfield/defence being crap but no-one is explicitly debating the elephant in the room. I've read posts where we mention the forwards not retaining possession when we're attacking, the full backs being way too far forward and then Ledley/Bryson being out of position and the defence being crap. 

For me these issues re all valid but stem from players trying to do too much individually. Players are always trying to take someone on...waltz past two or three. Or try the overambitious pass. This leads to the breakdown and conceding possession and being out of position. 

But when we are/were great it's because of passing and interchange. Players being close and working together. This young team needs time to gel. But it needs to focus on passing to each other: not individual possession but team possession. Maybe a switch to 4-2-3-1 to provide a solid base (Evans + another) for Wilson, Mount and Lawrence to get the ball moving amongst themselves behind the stormer. This would necessitate a big change in Lawrence to Play pass and move, not the ' Rynaldow of the valleys'....so it might not work. We have to let the ball do the work to allow for higher energy when we need, more solid base and fewer players being forced to cover holes everywhere in the pitch. 

Perhaps you can see why I don't post much....see you in 2028 then...

As you were. 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, biellaram said:

Haven't posted on here for at least 10 years.

I'm surprised that we are all talking about the formation and the midfield/defence being crap but no-one is explicitly debating the elephant in the room. I've read posts where we mention the forwards not retaining possession when we're attacking, the full backs being way too far forward and then Ledley/Bryson being out of position and the defence being crap. 

For me these issues re all valid but stem from players trying to do too much individually. Players are always trying to take someone on...waltz past two or three. Or try the overambitious pass. This leads to the breakdown and conceding possession and being out of position. 

But when we are/were great it's because of passing and interchange. Players being close and working together. This young team needs time to gel. But it needs to focus on passing to each other: not individual possession but team possession. Maybe a switch to 4-2-3-1 to provide a solid base (Evans + another) for Wilson, Mount and Lawrence to get the ball moving amongst themselves behind the stormer. This would necessitate a big change in Lawrence to Play pass and move, not the ' Rynaldow of the valleys'....so it might not work. We have to let the ball do the work to allow for higher energy when we need, more solid base and fewer players being forced to cover holes everywhere in the pitch. 

Perhaps you can see why I don't post much....see you in 2028 then...

As you were. 

Spot on. Football is a simple game and should be played simply. Pass and move , pass and move 

Archived