Expect Less Forest Tickets in the Future

Day

HAVING equalled a club record eight consecutive home wins in the space of a season, the City Ground must already qualify as one of the most intimidating venues in the Championship.

But, as his promotion chasing squad look to make it win number nine in succession on home turf against Middlesbrough today, Billy Davies has one goal in mind.

The Scot wants to make it an even harder place to come.

Having visited places such as the Bernabau and San Siro in recent seasons, Davies believes he knows exactly how to achieve this.

And he wants to start by moving the visiting supporters from their current position, just behind the goal.

In recent months, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby have packed out the lower tier of the Bridgford Stand, with their fans providing noisy vocal support.

And, while that may make for a rousing atmosphere on the banks of the River Trent, Davies is concerned Forest are giving their opponents an unnecessary aid.

Now he wants Forest to hand out as few away tickets as possible – as is often the case when they travel themselves.

"It doesn't help when we hand out 4,000 tickets to away fans and then go to their place and get less than 2,000 for our fans," said Davies, in a veiled dig at East Midlands rivals Derby County. "These things do not help us.

"What we have to do, as a club, is learn who our friends are.

"Whatever clubs do to us, we have to return the favour.

"We have to look at that right through the club and realise that all these little things matter.

"Personally, I would like to see the away fans put somewhere high up in the stand in a corner, with about 1,500 tickets available to them.

"I went to the Bernabau Stadium. I know it is a different situation there but, if you compare it, the away fans are on the very back tier of the stadium.

"They are miles away from the pitch, a little pocket of fans, and they have no influence on the game at all."

Middlesbrough are likely to bring a reasonable away following to Nottingham today, even if it won't be to the same level as their more local rivals.

"Sheffield Wednesday and Derby come to our ground and their fans have a big influence on the game, sat right behind our goal," said Davies.

"The quicker we remove that influence, the better we will be at the City Ground.

"Against Sheffield Wednesday I had to drum it into our players at half-time – I had to tell them not to drop deep and let them get sucked towards their travelling fans.

"We have to review the situation and see what can be done as soon as is possible.

"It is not up to me to decide, I can only recommend these things."

Davies believes the form of his side – and the standard of football they have been playing – have attributed to the rise in home attendance levels this season.

But, while that is an encouragement, he says his main aim is merely to give the side the best possible chance of maintaining their remarkable run of form, as they come into the critical final months of the campaign.

"The only match we have lost in months at home was against Blackpool and you can remember Ian Holloway's comments after that.

"It was a match we deserved more from.

"Our (average) home attendances are also up by more than 2,000 on last season.

"That tells you the great support we are getting, so great credit to everyone.

"But it is a situation we need to look at.

"There must be a way we can give visiting teams less of an advantage."

In the meantime, Davies says Forest's mental strength will be as important as their physical attributes in the coming months. He said: "It is exciting nerves now. It is not like last season when we were fighting relegation.

"We just have to remain confident and positive.

"With the points we have on the board and the remaining matches we have, we just have to remain focussed. We will not get too excited when we win, we will not get too down if we draw.

"And we will certainly not let it affect us if we lose a match.

"We will keep working away, because there are a lot of points to be played for.

"But the important thing is that we are fighting it out at the top end of the table and we have to be confident.

"And our fans can play a part for us as well, if they can help us make sure this is a tough place to come for the rest of the season."

http://www.thisisnottinghamforest.co.uk/news/Davies-City-Ground-intimidating/article-1851429-detail/article.html?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well if they move us at least we wont get pelted by stones again, it did take me by surprise that we got so many tickets at city ground, surely for a local derby you pack the ground out with your own fans not the away fans, i now forest dont fill the ground as much, but surely they could of sold them for the one game to forest fans

i mean why would we give our rivals tickets for what is our biggest gate of the season every year?

i hate to say it but billy davies is actually talking a bit of sense

i hate to say it but billy davies is actually talking a bit of sense

I agree, we'd never give Forest the whole of the South Stand, you can't blame the Dwarf for being a little miffed that we get the Bridgeford End.

what an utter tool in other words he / his players get spooked when they actually see a decent crowd at the cg but guess what billy you'll still never fill the ground regardless they didn't even sell out against us

Well they clearly aren't spooked considering we just won 9 in a row?

I think its a perfectly sensible plan, always wondered why we differed in this sense compared with other clubs, stick them in the Y Block out of the way.

I think its a perfectly sensible plan, always wondered why we differed in this sense compared with other clubs, stick them in the Y Block out of the way.

Because there's no Forest fans to replace us Derby fans that's why. Home leg of your Europeon Super Cup final against Barcalona? 23000!!! hahahahahahahah

Clearly you missed the point. He said the players get spooked at seeing such a large crowd. Your averaging 24,133. Mediocre.

Were averaging 29,171 despite our mediocre season. You have **** fans.

AHh the old attendance argument. My how this never gets boring. Forget the years of success but no "Forest aren't a big club as we get a few more thousand neach week." Have you nothing else?

You seem to forget our town has two football clubs as opposed to one! The 'little brother' get a good 8000 a week ? Is that about right?

AHh the old attendance argument. My how this never gets boring. Forget the years of success but no "Forest aren't a big club as we get a few more thousand neach week." Have you nothing else?

You seem to forget our town has two football clubs as opposed to one! The 'little brother' get a good 8000 a week ? Is that about right?

honestly the arguement bores the crap out of me too, alot like the we won 2 european cups that forest fans bring up.

neither of us are big clubs no matter how much we like to think it, you only become a big club if you are currently winning tropheys which neither of us are, well unless you count the brian clough trophey, which seeing as neither of us are gonna be winning fa cups, league cups european or premiership titles for a good few years, is the only one that matters we own it we are better than you for now in that respect of local games played since we have been competing for it

enjoy your time near the top of the championship, we enjoyed ours

Archived