Saturday Night Fever

I see the 40th anniversary of the release of the film is being celebrated on BBC2 on Friday 22nd at 9pm. I remember Barry Norman giving it a slating on Film 77 and it going on to be very successful. Can't remember now if I saw this at the ABC in East Street or at the Odeon on London Road probably the ABC (definitely the ABC for either this or Grease which was released the following year). Certainly some white suits and the dancing class students were in evidence at Baileys, or was it Romeo and Juliet's by then? in Colyear Street over the months following. These were the days when we went to clubs wearing jackets and even ties!  It made John Travolta into an international star. Anyhow looking at the reception Barry Gibb got at Glastonbury this year playing the songs all made into massive hits by the movie the music is still really popular all now absolute classics I guess. I will be watching on Friday and remembering Derby in the late seventies. At that time DCFC were past the watershed of the FA Cup semi final loss to MUFC (which I was at) and Tommy Docherty had recently taken charge - the spiral of decline had begun...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Monty said:

I see the 40th anniversary of the release of the film is being celebrated on BBC2 on Friday 22nd at 9pm. I remember Barry Norman giving it a slating on Film 77 and it going on to be very successful. Can't remember now if I saw this at the ABC in East Street or at the Odeon on London Road probably the ABC (definitely the ABC for either this or Grease which was released the following year). Certainly some white suits and the dancing class students were in evidence at Baileys, or was it Romeo and Juliet's by then? in Colyear Street over the months following. These were the days when we went to clubs wearing jackets and even ties!  It made John Travolta into an international star. Anyhow looking at the reception Barry Gibb got at Glastonbury this year playing the songs all made into massive hits by the movie the music is still really popular all now absolute classics I guess. I will be watching on Friday and remembering Derby in the late seventies. At that time DCFC were past the watershed of the FA Cup semi final loss to MUFC (which I was at) and Tommy Docherty had recently taken charge - the spiral of decline had begun...

Good post made me go all nostalgic.

Ha yeah nostalgia eh? The days of meeting up on Saturday evening at the Yeoman (now McDonalds at Ashbourne Road/Kingsway) attempt as much of the 'mile' into town (the Yeoman to the Wardwick) as possible usually flagging by the time we got into Friar Gate and hope to be still able to get into either Tiffany's/Sadies/Baileys. Some significant early stress on the liver!   

3 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Watched these days, it's a much darker film than I remember it being in 1977!

There was two versions, one was like x rated and one an AA or whatever it was at the time to allow younger audiences to watch, Dont know if it changed the overall feel of the film or if it was just language cut.

I do recall going to see it and i'd only have been about 6.

Archived