Irvine set for Owls post

Day

Skysports.com understands that Alan Irvine is to be appointed Sheffield Wednesday manager.

Irvine has only been out of work for little more than a week after being sacked as Preston boss on 29th December.

David Moyes told Irvine that he was welcome back at Everton after a successful spell on the coaching staff but he is now set to take a different role.

It is believed that Irvine, who spent two years in charge of Preston, is close to being confirmed as Brian Laws' successor at Hillsborough.

Laws parted company with the Owls in mid-December after a disappointing run of results and various names have been linked with the vacant position.

Sheffield Wednesday have taken their time to find the right man and are now understood to have settled on Irvine.

With Saturday's clash against Peterborough postponed due to the weather, Irvine's first game at the helm is likely to be the Yorkshire derby at Barnsley next weekend.

Sheffield Wednesday will be anxious to pick up three points as they are currently just one place off the bottom of the division.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5842935,00.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad move for them i think.

Why? I was thinking the other day if Clough goes anytime soon, he's one that I'd like to see on the shortlist. He's done a good job up at Preston with hardly any money to spend, they haven't replaced McKenna which has been the downfall of there season.

Archived