Coyle holds talks with Bolton

Day

Burnley have confirmed that boss Owen Coyle has held talks with Bolton over the Trotters' vacant managerial post.

The 43-year-old Scot will now meet Burnley chairman Barry Kilby to discuss whether he will complete a move to the Reebok Stadium or remain at Turf Moor.

Bolton are looking for a new manager after sacking Gary Megson last week.

Megson, 50, was axed after a two-and-a-half-year stint in charge, with the club 18th in the Premier League and facing a battle against relegation.

In a statement on the club's website, Burnley said discussions between Coyle and Kilby would take place following Coyle's return from Scotland on Monday.

The club added it would not make any further comment at this time.

If Coyle decides to head for the Reebok, Bolton will be required to pay Burnley compensation in the region of £3m - as dictated by a clause in the 12-month contract extension he signed in the summer.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Burnley have a better team, Boltons better players are getting past there sell by date. He'd be better off taking Burnley down, get the parachute payment and use it to invest in more players to go back up again.

done deal i reacon if you look at all the other jobs he was linked with ie scotland manager ect he came out straight away and said he wasn't doing it but he's being very hush hush on this one even the assistant manager had to do the after game press talk after the cup match as he had already done 1

Why not? The Bolton fans want to see proper football, Coyle - ex-Bolton player will bring that.

Burnley didn't have to let him talk to them, instead they have agreed a decent compensation package.

I also don't get the "they are a small club, hope they get relegated argument", any club that is in the Premiership deserves to be there. How boring football would be if the Premiership is exclusive to "big clubs".

I say fair play to the likes of Bolton, Wigan, Stoke, Hull etc. for staying up there, whilst Newcastle are in the Championship.

No because it was successful for them, had they been fighting to stay up each season I doubt Allardyce wiould of stayed as long as he did.

Clubs such as Bolton will always be struggling to buy the top class players to compete for Europe, the fans have been spoilt by what Allardyce did for them.

I don't see Derby being that different, we may have more fans but we'd be in the same position as Bolton if we managed to stay up, and no doubt the fans would be complaining the football is crap as we battled to stay up.

Owen Coyle has today reaffirmed his desire to leave Burnley and join Bolton Wanderers," a statement from Burnley said. "Burnley will now enter discussions with Bolton due to the fact that compensation between the parties has yet to be agreed.

"There will be no further comment at this time."

Burnley fans livid on sky sports news - 'judas' chants ringing out

Bolton will always struggle for fans being so close to Liverpool, Everton, Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Tranmere etc.

Burnley is a decent job for whoever gets it, decent players with the playing football and not hoofball mentality installed, if they go down they get the parachute payment.

Archived