Durham City FC

CumbrianRam

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DURHAM City travel to fellow strugglers Matlock Town tomorrow reeling from a triple whammy from the Football Association.

An FA enquiry has fined the club £2,000, of which £1,500 is suspended, following the playing of Josh Home-Jackson under an assumed name while suspended.

The former Sunderland striker, at the time just signed from Chester-le-Street Town, played at Bradford Park Avenue On October 31 and at King's Lynn a week later.

The two league games ended in comprehensive 7-1 and 11-1 defeats – and the club subsequently reported themselves to the FA when they discovered the gravity of the situation.

City have got off relatively lightly as a six-point deduction on top of the small fine will have no impact whatsoever as the club have yet to pick up a point and are doomed to relegation.

However, Collings and Home-Jackson, while escaping fines, have been suspended from all football until the end of the season.

That includes all 15 of Durham’s remaining games and further heaps misery on the Esh Stadium outfit, who have endured the worst season in the club’s long history.

Collings said: “I am devastated and would rather have paid a fine and taken a short ban than been suspended for the rest of the campaign.

“It is hard to take, especially as I cannot attend games, take training or have anything to do with the club. It just tops off an unbelievable season.

“The ban is excessive to put it mildly, far worse than I expected.

“It is the lowest moment of my time in football as a player, coach and manager.â€Â

City will not appeal against their verdict fearing it may be upped and, while Collings will take advice, it is unlikely he or Home-Jackson will challenge the FA’s decision.

Rock-bottom Durham will now be under the sole charge of former Sunderland star Richard Ord for the rest of the season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/non-league-football/2010/02/12/durham-city-are-rocked-by-triple-fa-whammy-72703-25821148/

Archived