No chance of England call up for Mears

Day

AS a defender, Tyrone Mears knows you get punished for playing a man on-side - especially if it's the WRONG side.

And that's now happened to the Burnley star after playing football for a country he has NO link to.

The balls-up came when Tyr one - who thought he was of Jamaican blood - was asked to play by their old boss John Barnes.

It was the right-back's first international cap - but the Jamaican FA MISSED the fact Tyrone's long lost father was AFRICAN.

Now the 26-year-old must pay the ultimate penalty - not being able to fulfil his boyhood dream of playing for England.

FIFA rules state that a player who has participated in an official match for one international team, can't represent another.

Tyrone, born in Stockport to a British mum, told the News of the World: "It was an honest mistake on my part. I can't believe the Jamaican FA didn't check in the registration process!"

The Premier League player, rated as England's second-best right-back by Opta stats, was recovering from an injury at the start of the year while playing for French club Marseille.

He added: "I was desperate for games at the time. When Barnes asked me about Jamaica I thought I'd see if I qualified."

That's when Mears began digging into his father's past and was told he had Jamaican roots.

He added: "I gave the Jamaican FA my name, my father's name and that was it. I didn't have to submit my passport."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/586692/Jamaica-mistake-Tyrone-Burnley-fottballer-Mears-cant-play-for-England.html?postingId=588587

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived