Green closing in on return

Day

Influential midfielder Paul Green has given Derby County a significant fitness boost by resuming to full training.

The former Doncaster Rovers player has not kicked a ball in anger for the Rams since early September because of a foot problem.

But after receiving the all-clear to resume training the 26-year-old took part in today's training session at Moor Farm and could feature in Friday night's Pride Park Coca-Cola Championship clash with Coventry City.

Rob Hulse (Illness), Jay McEveley (Cheekbone Fracture) and Dean Leacock (Mumps) are also closing in on returns to action.

Manager Nigel Clough told dcfc.co.uk: "There is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel on the injury front, but it is early in the week yet!

"Paul Green trained today which a big plus for us.

"The scans indicate his foot has healed so as long as the medical staff are happy we will consider involving him against Coventry.

"He has looked after himself and has worked hard.

"Dean Leacock and Jay McEveley are also back in doing a bit of work - as well as Rob Hulse - so from the squad that faced Ipswich on Saturday we could have as many as four bodies back.

"We will assess them throughout the week in training in terms of recovery and how they are feeling."

McEveley will be required to wear a protective face mask if he does feature against the Sky Blues, having fractured his cheekbone only a fortnight ago.

"He is knocking on the door to be involved, but at the moment we have an issue with the contact element," explained Clough.

"He is having a mask fitted but we don't want to test it out too early, so he has been training non-contact so far but we will introduce him to the rest of the group later in the week.

"Both he and Jake Buxton are a good example and we could do with more like them; neither are at a hundred percent in terms of fitness but both have put their hands up to be involved."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~1845833,00.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to be excited by this I really I'am although I can see Clough rushing him back too soon again and flare up his injury again. I hope I'm wrong as Green is vital part to this team and it would be nice to have im back 100%.

DO NOT RUSH ANY PLAYERS BACK! FFS!

just wanted to say that.

We have got a tough run in and this is our last for a while what i would call even with recent form winnable, after that youve got teams like swansea on the travels and reading and wba at home. Save um! and make sure they realy are fit!

Hulse should be just about match fit only missing one game, give him 45mins on Friday, Leacock has been out abit longer so give him 15-30mins, Green about the same. They then have 2 weeks in the gym and more training under the belt.

Archived