Craig Short interview

richinspain

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/short-i-couldnt-turn-down-coming-back-2957574.aspx

Craig Short has revealed that the chance to join Derby County’s first-team coaching staff under Darren Wassall was ‘an opportunity that I couldn’t turn down’.

Obviously I said yes as you can’t turn opportunities like that down."

Craig Short

Short, 47, originally linked up with Derby on a part-time basis in the Academy to provide coaching support to the Under 21 squad.

However, he stepped up to the club’s first-team coaching staff last week after Darren Wassall, a former team-mate of Short’s and the club’s Academy Director, was named as Head Coach until the end of the season.

Short played 143 games for Derby following a £2.65m transfer from Notts County in September 1992 and also served Scarborough, Everton, Blackburn Rovers and Sheffield United - making 664 career appearances in total between 1987 and 2007.

Upon hanging up his boots he managed Hungarian side Ferencvaros in 2009/10 as well as Notts County at the start of the 2010/11 season in League One.

Short was Derby’s Head of Recruitment in the Academy between September 2011 and June 2013 before becoming part of Gary Bowyer’s first-team coaching staff at Blackburn Rovers, prior to his departure earlier this season.

Following a brief break out of the game following his departure from Ewood Park, Short admits he had got ‘itchy feet’ to get back involved in the game.

He told Rams Player HD: “I’ve been in the game now for 25 years and nothing really does surprise me.

“Darren Wassall rang me just before Christmas and asked me if I fancied coming back in. I live quite a long way north of Derby so I told him I would come back on a part-time basis.

“As we all know Paul Clement lost his job last Monday and I came in next day with Darren asking me if I would help him out – obviously I said yes as you can’t turn opportunities like that down.

“I’ve had a decent break but I think after a certain while of being out, you do get itchy feet.

“I really enjoyed my time working at Blackburn, but I know that all things come to end in football.”

Short was promoted from the second tier during his playing career at Notts County, Blackburn Rovers and Sheffield United to the top flight.

He says each season was ‘an absolute endurance test’ - and believes that the division is growing in quality with every passing season.

Short has also revealed how impressed he has been with the club’s facilities since he last worked with the Rams.

He said: “I’ve been fortunate to gain promotion from the Championship three times as a player and all three of them were an absolute endurance test from start to finish.

“I think we’ve seen over the years that the league has got stronger and stronger – especially since I finished playing.

“I understand what the players are going through regarding expectations; however they have to deal with that.

“I know the club reasonably well and the facilities here have changed a great deal since I last came here.

“Everything here is set up for the Premier League, now is all about getting over that final hurdle.”

Derby return to Sky Bet Championship action on Saturday afternoon, looking for their first league win of 2016, with a trip south to face Brentford.

Short was on the coaching staff at Blackburn earlier in the season when the Bees claimed a 1-1 draw at Ewood Park.

He has been impressed with their form in recent seasons, which saw them reach the play-offs last season prior to Mark Warburton’s departure to Scottish giants Rangers.

Despite losing the likes of Andre Gray,  James Tarkowski and Toumani Diagouraga in recent months, Short has made it clear that Derby face a tough game against Dean Smith’s side.

He said: “Apart from Derby, Brentford were probably the best team to come and play us when I was at Blackburn.

“They haven’t had it easy this season losing a lot of vital players such as Andre Gray, however they’ve still got players like Alan Judge and forwards who pose significant threats.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/short-i-couldnt-turn-down-coming-back-2957574.aspx#Y1kJvzf7SuoqGr1T.99

Excelent interview from Craig Short after returning to the club. Hopefully his experience as a player and coach in the Championship can help Wassall get the team moving in the right direction.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived