Steve Davis - umpire

Anag Ram

Retiring after 25 years' service. I can remember when umpiring standards were pretty moderate. The advent of new technology has shown just how difficult modern umpiring can be but in general I think they do a great job. Steve Davis has made mistakes in his career but overall he has been one of the best umpires I can remember. I wish him all the best in his retirement.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retiring after 25 years' service. I can remember when umpiring standards were pretty moderate. The advent of new technology has shown just how difficult modern umpiring can be but in general I think they do a great job. Steve Davis has made mistakes in his career but overall he has been one of the best umpires I can remember. I wish him all the best in his retirement.

Agreed.

I used to be big mates with David Constant (I used to work with him during the winter - in those days test matches were always adjudicated by 'home' umpires so he only used to stand in our summer, so he had a winter job at Imperial Tobacco, Bristol working for me). He was castigated by both India and Pakistan - in fact, Hasib Ahsan who was the Pakistan tour manager in the late 1980s called him a '…disgraceful person' - just for making decisions that he thought were correct. No Hawkeye or Snicko in those days. Pakistan's reprisal the following year was the appointment of Shakoor Rana, and we all know how that turned out.

David's last test was in 1988 - an absolute disgrace as alongside Dickie Bird, he was still rated as one of the top two umpires in world cricket for the next 10 years, but politics is politics and he became the sacrificial lamb to appease the Indian sub-continent.

Archived