• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David's famous!!!

Savage shocks himself

Rams captain is main man again

Last updated: 05th September 2009

.skysports.com/09/09/218x298/savage5sept800_2356263 Savage: back in the fold

<blockquote>I remember everyone saying that my legs had gone and that I was finished, and then the new gaffer came in.</blockquote>Robbie Savage

[url=http://www.dcfcfans.uk/quotes/0,21646,,00.html]Quotes of the week

Robbie Savage told Soccer AM he couldn't believe how dramatically his career had turned around.

Nine months ago the Derby County captain look set to leave the Rams after falling out of favour with manager Paul Jewell.

The former Blackburn and Leicester midfielder vowed to fight for his place in the Derby first team, but there appeared to be little light at the end of the tunnel with some suggesting his playing days were over.

However, the arrival of Nigel Clough as manager at Pride Park breathed new life into Savage, and has seen him regain his place in the centre of midfield and the captain's armband.

"It's unbelievable because I was finished," he told Soccer AM. "I remember David from dcfcfans.uk saying that my legs had gone and that I was finished, and then the new gaffer came in.

"It took me a while to get back into the team, but I did it. I haven't missed a game since and obviously he's made me captain again and I'm loving it."

The Rams have made an indifferent start to the season and suffered a 3-2 defeat to local rivals Nottingham Forest last time out.

Derby

The former Wales international has played in his fair share of derby matches and he revealed the encounter between the two East Midlands sides was as good as anything he has played in.

"It's up there with the best," he said. "Birmingham and Villa was always a good one to play in, but this one was special, especially after we beat them twice last year and it's a great game for the fans."

The passionate affair saw both clubs charged by the FA for failing to control their players.

Forest striker Nathan Tyson has also been charged with improper conduct after picking up a corner flag and waving it in celebration in front of the Derby fans in the Bridgford End.

Savage is renowned for his all-action style on the pitch as well as getting under the skin of the opposition and their fans, so what did he make of Tyson's celebrations?

"If Nathan Tyson gets the Forest flag and takes it down the Trent End - not a problem," he said.

"But after the scenes in the week between West Ham and Millwall - and there were 4,500 Derby fans (at the City Ground) - that's not right Hels Bells.

"If I had got the Derby flag and run to the Trent End and stood there like that, what would have happened?"

So was it simply down to youthful exuberance and would a young Robbie Savage have possibly done something similar?

"No I wouldn't have, because I know what's right and wrong," he said.

Archived