Does anyone remember this friendly game?

petersimple

I have a memory of a friendly in the 1970s where Dave Mackay spent a good part of the game trying to give a local journalist a good kicking. Was that Mike Ingham who has recently announced his retirement after a long career? Nowadays he looks quite respectable but in the 1970s he was a bushy haired git with a moustache and that is exactly how I remember the journalist in the friendly game. This game was around the time Dave Mackay was unfairly kicked out and I know he used to take comments by his critics very personally.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vaguely remember summat about Ingham and Mackay. I'd fancy Dave to win any fight in those days. 

I remember a friendly at Forest in the late 70's. It was pre-season and Tommy Docherty had just taken over as our manager. At the end of the game a large contingent of Derby lads congregated on the side of the shed that is the Brian Clough Stand nowadays.

We refused to leave the ground as we we were having a bit of a laugh, a pretence for some protest or other.....maybe some one over 54 will be able to help with this, i was only young. :ph34r:

Anyroads, The Doc ended up coming onto the terrace to talk to the Derby fans and ask them to leave the ground in an orderly fashion. He was greeted with a major round of fck offs and did the decent thing. He fcked off.

We came out the shed to be met with the most pathetic "mob" i've ever seen.....the Derby lads went straight through them and they did the same as the Doc. They fcked off.

If Ingham was there with a bushy hair do and moustache he would have looked like the rest of us.... :blink:

Archived