Ben Pringle - "First team pro"

Day

Just been reading the match report from last nights game on the OS and this bit stood out,

"A strong Derby County XI, including first team pros Giles Barnes, Martin Albrechtsen, Jordan Stewart, Steven Davies and Ben Pringle all started the game against the Unibond Division 1 South outfit."

I thought he was bought for the development team, I'm guessing it's either a typo and I'm reading too much into it or he has seriously impressed so far and forced his way into Cloughies plans, could we be looking buy of the summer here?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who went to Belper last night say Pringle was motm by a long way - and he did impress at Chesterfield - not bad for someone playing 5 divisions lower last season - if he carries on as he is he may well be in the 1st team a lot quicker than he thinks.

Derby boss Nigel Clough has been full of praise for youngster Ben Pringle for the way he has settled in since joining the club.

The 19-year-old has made the step up from Ilkeston Town but Clough believes he has shown that he does not look out of place and that he is good enough to play at the current level.

Speaking to the Derby Telegraph after the 2-0 win over Yeovil on Tuesday Clough said: "The biggest challenge for the lads who come in from the lower leagues is can they establish themselves in the Championship and look like Championship players.

"We have been very impressed indeed with Ben and have been since the first day he came to the club.

"He does not look out of place."

This lad will benefit from being around the first team squad this season,a few games in the cup a couple of sub apperances and next season could see the emergence of a real gem.It is all the sweeter knowing we knicked him from under the red dogs noses.

Archived