Play-off Final: Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

CumbrianRam

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QPR's recent form isn't that hot, 4 wins in 10 (to be fair, 4 in 7), one of those was in ET, one won in injury after coming from a goal down, and one against already relegated Barnsley. The other one? Forest, and we put five past them too :D

Interesting some R's fans saying that we were the first team to come to Loftus Road this season and have a go...I was there and I thought the opposite, we were too cautious and nervous first half. It was only in the second half when we began to play the way we know they can. Ironically we scored in the first and not the second. The other thing I remembered from that game was that it took me an hour to realise that Charlie Austin was playing. If he's not scoring, he's not doing much, is he?

QPR's recent form isn't that hot, 4 wins in 10 (to be fair, 4 in 7), one of those was in ET, one won in injury after coming from a goal down, and one against already relegated Barnsley. The other one? Forest, and we put five past them too :D

Interesting some R's fans saying that we were the first team to come to Loftus Road this season and have a go...I was there and I thought the opposite, we were too cautious and nervous first half. It was only in the second half when we began to play the way we know they can. Ironically we scored in the first and not the second. The other thing I remembered from that game was that it took me an hour to realise that Charlie Austin was playing. If he's not scoring, he's not doing much, is he?

As a lone striker, when a team press us high, he is left isolated. He can be very anonymous particularly if Dunne and Hill are the CBs

As a lone striker, when a team press us high, he is left isolated. He can be very anonymous particularly if Dunne and Hill are the CBs

How do you think 'Arry will line your lads up then GMR?

They are an experienced lot aren't they. I think on paper you'd definitely fancy them but I just can't help but think we are big favourites as our team is much better.

No idea how they'll lie up on Saturday, but when the came to PPS...

Retweeted by Niall

OptaJoe ‏@optajoe 1h

2203 - QPR's starting XI tonight has played a total of 2,203 games in the Premier League (vs 68 for Derby). Experience

I'm still trying to work out where our 68 came from! Wisdom, Martin, a handful each has Eustace played top flight? 

It is known as 'arry's tombola. Your guess would probably be as valid as mine.

You wont have seen this, but I have written a reply to this five times and given up. I really dont know... none of us have known all season. For each game on LFW there is a MatchFred.... have a look at the posts as soon as the team are announced. I am not even sure whether we have satarted the same 11 in consecutive weeks since saggy chops arrived in the mid of last season, and I think we have used more players than any other team (most aren't spoilt with the bloated squad we have)

back Four.... Simpson---- Onouha----- Hill or Dunne---- BAE (or possibly Yun, doubt it as he isnt ex-Spuds)

After that, i can only say I am certain that Kranky behind Austin  and JB will start in the mid with Traore if he is fit - otherwise Doyle, O'neill and Hoilett

I dont see Ravel starting, as he struggled at Wigan away and was benched for the home game, though he did well when he came on.

Expect to see Zamora at around 60, depending on the state of play, Morrison around that time too, if Hoilett still cant keep the ball in play, despite the longer pitch. If that back four isnt performing expect to see Yun or Hill brought on, any time from 25 min

Would be disappointed if he has both Dunne and Hill in Back four, but anything is possible, so probably will happen

.... you will notice on the day, how far out I am with that, as I havent mentioned Little Tom Caroll who at 10 3/4 yrs could be the youngest spurs player to appear at Wembley in a play-off final. Just think.... his voice will have broken and he'll be shaving by the time we are in the PL next

It's just possible that Tom Carroll was Nigel Clough's biggest mistake at Derby...but that's another story. Interesting anyway, thanks.

LTC divides opinion. he is light wieght and easily harried off the ball. However, he is always looking for players to make a run into space (With the likes of Jenas playing pocket billiards and looking the other way). I think he may well turn out to be a good little player... he is just too young nor strong enough yet for the championship. 

From your comment, he didnt do too well for you?

I do recall when Harry signed him, some of ours had asked on here. My memory may be wrong, but sure that your fans felt that Clough persisted with him for too long and in the wrong postion... and he was crap. he hasnt been that bad for us and you can see why some see him having good potential

LTC divides opinion. he is light wieght and easily harried off the ball. However, he is always looking for players to make a run into space (With the likes of Jenas playing pocket billiards and looking the other way). I think he may well turn out to be a good little player... he is just too young nor strong enough yet for the championship. 

From your comment, he didnt do too well for you?

Sounds like the Tom Carroll I remember, but absolutely nothing came off for him here. We had a semblance of a top 6 challenge going on from amid the pack and it all went wrong when he came in. As I recall anyway.

Will Hughes is similar in style, but on a whole different level to Tom Carroll from what I've seen.

Does anyone know why they aren't trying to sell to wembley's full capacity (90k)? 

They must have close to 80k as it is, given how quick they sold out the planned number of tickets, surely another 5k per team would be an easy sell?

Just curious.....

Does anyone know why they aren't trying to sell to wembley's full capacity (90k)?

They must have close to 80k as it is, given how quick they sold out the planned number of tickets, surely another 5k per team would be an easy sell?

Just curious.....

Segregation and corporates would make it impossible. Utilising full capacity when England play is easy due to no/little segregation.

This is pretty much the best gate you'll see at Wembley for a club fixture!

I do recall when Harry signed him, some of ours had asked on here. My memory may be wrong, but sure that your fans felt that Clough persisted with him for too long and in the wrong postion... and he was crap. he hasnt been that bad for us and you can see why some see him having good potential

Just comes across as a poor man's Will Hughes, for me. Look at Hughes' body, and there's nothing more to him that Carroll, but how he uses his balance, ability, skill and what little strength he has means he doesn't need to be any bigger. In fact, it might actually be a hindrance to him.

Carroll seems to have an eye for a pass and every now and again he'd pull a nice one off for us, but he just doesn't seem to have the intelligence to turn his talent into a useful performance.

Just curious.....

club Wembley 

Sounds like the Tom Carroll I remember, but absolutely nothing came off for him here. We had a semblance of a top 6 challenge going on from amid the pack and it all went wrong when he came in. As I recall anyway.

Will Hughes is similar in style, but on a whole different level to Tom Carroll from what I've seen.

Not sure many would disagree with that comparison!

Didnt realise he had such a bad effect on your side. I havent checked, but I am assuming, given you excellent form, that your side pretty well picks itself? You looked lethal against Brighton. Does Mac play to one formation, or does he mix it up, depending what is front of you?

Just comes across as a poor man's Will Hughes, for me. Look at Hughes' body, and there's nothing more to him that Carroll, but how he uses his balance, ability, skill and what little strength he has means he doesn't need to be any bigger. In fact, it might actually be a hindrance to him.

Carroll seems to have an eye for a pass and every now and again he'd pull a nice one off for us, but he just doesn't seem to have the intelligence to turn his talent into a useful performance.

I would have been better describing as you did... Caroll to a tee

We've had a settled formation ever since mac came in.

--------Grant---------

Wisdom Keogh Buxton Forsyth

-------------Thorne---------------

------Bryson--Hendrick----------     (Or Hughes in for one of these two)

Russell--------------------Ward        (Potentially Dawkins or Bamford wide, but not on Saturday)

------------Martin--------------

Other subs Legzdins, Eustace, Whitbread, Sammon.

Not sure many would disagree with that comparison!

Didnt realise he had such a bad effect on your side. I havent checked, but I am assuming, given you excellent form, that your side pretty well picks itself? You looked lethal against Brighton. Does Mac play to one formation, or does he mix it up, depending what is front of you?

One formation. 4-3-3. Only ever changed when we've been losing, into more of a 4-2-4 to push another striker forward.

Our defence picks it self, as does our front 3 currently.

Midfield is a tricky one, and Mac has a dilemma. Thorne is a forgone, he'll start in the defensive/holding role, but the attack midfielders will be a harder choice.

Hughes won MOTM in the second leg, scoring a great goal and played at the peak of his game

Hendrick has a stupid goal scoring record recently, something along the lines of 6 in 8

Bryson won our fans POTY and had 16 goals and 16 assists, when he's on his game he's the best midfielder in this league in my opinion.

Will be a tricky call for Mac and co. I feel that Bryson will come in for Hughes, and although it's a hard decision, I think of a large Wembley pitch, he'll want runners and will want an injection of pace, which Hendrick and Bryson provide. On the other hand, Hughes would also thrive on large pitch as his game involves spreading the ball out wide and creating space for the front 3.

I think it all comes down to what tactics Steve goes for. Does he go all out from the off and play like we have been? Or do we try and ease ourselves in the game and avoid conceding an early goal?

Should be an interesting one.

Archived