Frank Fielding - Blackburn

Day

Ignore the top half,

West Brom will move for Derby County's £2million-rated midfielder Paul Green if skipper Jonathan Greening leaves. Greening's £3.25million move to Fulham could go through this week.

Meanwhile, Derby are ready to snatch keeper [url=http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10303%7E37396,00.html]Frank Fielding from Blackburn Rovers for £200,000.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by vicky-27;23975

Ignore the top bit :eek: i hope not - though his injury might scupper that.

So looks like we are dumping Carroll then, why are goalies always cheaper than other players ?

It's very rare that goalies make a big difference to a team, unlike outfield players.

Don't get me wrong, as Cech is a great keeper but it is Terry and Carvalho who have made a major difference to that team.

Bywater is a great keeper but with Stewart, Albrechtson, Nyatanga and Connolly in front of him it means nothing, apart from the occasional awesome saves he pulls out.

A good keeper is one who never makes mistakes, can play every game and occasionally makes a life saver.

Derby County want to sign goalkeeper Frank Fielding from Premier League club Blackburn Rovers.

Rams manager Nigel Clough has confimed his interest in the 21-year-old, who has played for England at under-19 and Under-21 levels.

Clough sees Fielding as back-up to first-choice keeper Stephen Bywater.

Derby and Blackburn are discussing a fee, possibly around £200,000.

“We see him as a number two and he fits into what we are trying to do – groom some young players,” said Clough.

“We are just waiting for a decision back from Blackburn.”

Fielding came up through the youth system at Ewood Park but has yet to make a first-team appearance for Rovers.

He impressed in loan spells at Wycombe Wanderers, Northampton Town and Rochdale. He played 36 League games for Wycombe, 12 at Northampton and 23 with Rochdale.

His England Under-21 cap came when he replaced the injured Joe Lewis in the match against the Czech Republic at Bramall Lane last year.

Asked where Felding’s arrival would leave Roy Carroll (pictured left), Clough said: "It is a situation we have been in for the last few months and Roy is aware of it.

"Financially, it would be best if he could try and get himself fixed up. I think he and his representatives are trying to do that.

"If one or two experienced keepers in the Premier League got injured or picked up knocks, I think Roy would be absolutely ideal to step in.

“He is probably too experienced and too good to be a number two in the Championship.”

The face of Derby’s goalkeeping department is slowly changing.

Welsh international Lewis Price has joined Brentford on a season-long loan and Carroll, the 31-year-old Northern Ireland international, will be allowed to leave. Former Burton Albion keeper Saul Deeney is training with Derby with a view to a possible contract.

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/clough-targets-fielding]http://therams.co.uk/stories/clough-targets-fielding

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kin ell The People got this one right, is that a first for a Sunday tabloid?

That didnt make sense.I thought you had put something about losing Carroll,Vicky.

In all fairness,goalkeepers are extremely important but if Derby had Cech in goal last season we still would have been near the bottom.A keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him.

I wish we could lose him - and his ugly mug hhmm i see what you are saying but he still has to save them ! still a great keeper - he made some world class saves - won't have a word said against him apart from thar dodgey interview

• 2 weeks later...
DERBY County are still hoping to land Blackburn Rovers' goalkeeper Frank Fielding.

The clubs are in talks over the 21-year-old moving to Pride Park.

"We are still trying to get Frank Fielding in but in the meantime Saul Deeney will cover us and will be on the bench against Peterborough United if we don't get anybody in," said Rams manager Nigel Clough.

"We are talking to Blackburn and trying to sort out one or two things with them, even the possibility of a loan until December 31 for us to have a look at him (Fielding) and then we can sit down and discuss a permanent deal in January."

Fielding would be number two behind Stephen Bywater, a role currently being filled by Deeney.

The 26-year-old former Burton Albion keeper has signed a one-year contract.

[url=http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Fielding-wanted-list-Derby/article-1215897-detail/article.html]http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Fielding-wan...il/article.html

• 1 month later...

Archived