Confession to make...

EssendonRam

I have grown up taking a...erm...a polite dislike of certain clubs.

One of those is Liverpool. As an Australian kiddy in the 70s and early 80s, I was surrounded by people who either (1) thought soccer / football a p00fter's game, or (2) "barracked" for Liverpool or Man United.

I use quotation marks to indicate cynicism as many of those could barely nominate "their" colours and were eternally perplexed by the idea that both sides could wear red.

(Later, Harry Kewell must've led to a massive emigration from Leeds because then they became one of the Big Three clubs in Australia.)

But, right now, I am excited by two things in England. First and clearly foremost, Derby's stellar promotion season (please!!!!!!).

Secondly, Liverpool may finally break the drought. And it's not just because there's no one else who isn't buying the title.

It's far more than that. It's Brendan Rodgers. He's all class. It's Hillsborough. The tributes. The respect. The sense of family those commemorations heralded. It's Stevey G (even though I've never liked him) breaking down after the game against Man City. Then talking about his lost cousin. Which, to my shame, I had forgotten.

Most of all, it's the Liverpool crowd. Like City fans a couple of years ago, the sense that the long held dream may be happening is showing fans at their purest...

And, just imagine, if Pool can beat the petro-money* clubs, maybe others can.

One day.

* Registered name of "Abu Derby County Football Club" available for sale to rich Arab owner who wants an English football club as a plaything for a couple of years...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would probably have worked out fine. Unfortunately Forest only managed to get an Arab that's given pocket money by his missus/family.....

Thanks for the support. But I believe you made a spelling mistake...Shouldn't the second sentence start with "fortunately"? Personally, I'd settle for "amusingly".

If you wanted me to be my usually verbose self, I'd most likely have opted for "In an incredible display of incompetence and stupidity fully representative of their pathetic history, Forest only managed to get an Arab who's given pocket money by his parents."

Archived