The demise of Forest

ladyram

The first few games I do not recall anyone chanting anything. It did admittedly descend into "Non-League Nigel" especially at the away games though.

As I recall it was from the very first time your fans came to Pride Park with Nigel in charge.

Not sure if you still expected him to be complimentary to your club after that.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I recall it was from the very first time your fans came to Pride Park with Nigel in charge.

Not sure if you still expected him to be complimentary to your club after that.

The first time was the 1-1 draw in the cup, just after he'd been appointed.

Hand on heart I don't recall anything that night, the first time was the 1-0 defeat a year later.

I have nothing against him but never have rated him as a manager particularly and would be horrified if he was ever given the job at Forest. Apparently he applied multiple times but was not given the job so I do not think anyone could hold the fact he took the Derby job against him.

The first time was the 1-1 draw in the cup, just after he'd been appointed.

Hand on heart I don't recall anything that night, the first time was the 1-0 defeat a year later.

I have nothing against him but never have rated him as a manager particularly and would be horrified if he was ever given the job at Forest. Apparently he applied multiple times but was not given the job so I do not think anyone could hold the fact he took the Derby job against him.

So when he said that Derby was the only jon that he'd leave Burtin for he was lying? There were some rumours he'd turned Forest down before they appointed Billy

So when he said that Derby was the only jon that he'd leave Burtin for he was lying? There were some rumours he'd turned Forest down before they appointed Billy

There were strong rumours he applied for the Forest job on more than one occasion and was not even granted an interview.

As for the rumours that he turned down Forest when Davies was appointed,our CEO at the time stated that we wanted someone who had a good track record at Championship level which would have ruled Clough out.

If Clough really had wanted to manage at this level it is more than likely he would have taken a lot of jobs and may well have been applying for jobs long before he got the Derby job.

don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Caught me. That was a very poorly researched post. But, to be fair, that's because I don't honestly give a flying **** about Mansfield. I'm just glad to get a reaction.

But it is interesting to note that you would rather be unsuccessful in League 1 than unsuccessful in the Premier League. Interesting outlook. You're welcome to your time in League 1.

Worst team ever IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE is still better than the best team in League 1.

There were strong rumours he applied for the Forest job on more than one occasion and was not even granted an interview.

As for the rumours that he turned down Forest when Davies was appointed,our CEO at the time stated that we wanted someone who had a good track record at Championship level which would have ruled Clough out.

If Clough really had wanted to manage at this level it is more than likely he would have taken a lot of jobs and may well have been applying for jobs long before he got the Derby job.

Was that before or after Nigel turned them down

I honestly cannot remember any newspaper stories linking Clough to Forest at any time. Given his name etc.. It would have been all over the media if he had either applied for the job or been approached about it.

Personally I think the stories about it are made uo by fans to score points in petty arguments

Was that before or after Nigel turned them down

I honestly cannot remember any newspaper stories linking Clough to Forest at any time. Given his name etc.. It would have been all over the media if he had either applied for the job or been approached about it.

Personally I think the stories about it are made uo by fans to score points in petty arguments

The strongest rumours were in 2006 from my recollection when Calderwood got the job following Megson's departure.

I'm sure there was an article in The Times stating he had coveted the Forest job but was never given the chance.

It does not really matter anyway, he has shown himself to be an average to mediocre manager and given the way we have gone through managers he probably would not have lasted at Forest.

Many fans always theorised that Doughty would not have made an appointment like Clough or Pearce at Forest as the fans would have been more reluctant to turn on them and would turn on him instead. Pearce claimed he applied for the job twice but Doughty said he hadn't.

Oh and from a current player I spoke to Clough was approached by the current forest regime prior to Billy returning

That would not surprise me at all, after sacking O'Driscoll (99% of fans thought it was an awful decision) and the whole McLeish debacle many thought the current regime was a joke. They were clearly desperate to get the fans back on side which bringing Davies in did. They probably thought Clough would have the same effect (which it would not have).

Clough would not have left Derby to work for the current regime when they had already had sacked two managers and had one walk out after a few weeks when he had a very stable job at Derby.

The strongest rumours were in 2006 from my recollection when Calderwood got the job following Megson's departure.

I'm sure there was an article in The Times stating he had coveted the Forest job but was never given the chance.

It does not really matter anyway, he has shown himself to be an average to mediocre manager and given the way we have gone through managers he probably would not have lasted at Forest.

Many fans always theorised that Doughty would not have made an appointment like Clough or Pearce at Forest as the fans would have been more reluctant to turn on them and would turn on him instead. Pearce claimed he applied for the job twice but Doughty said he hadn't.

Mediocre manager who won more than he lost against you - think it was four in a row in your own back yard.

Good post, have to agree.

Mediocre manager who finished 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th and 10th. He never came close to getting you in the play-offs.

Just shows how much we improved in his last two seasons once the deadwood and overpriced dross had gine. Upward trend on a shoestring. In the meantime BD managed 3rd to 6th spending money - bottled playoffs and git himself the sack.

Just shows how much we improved in his last two seasons once the deadwood and overpriced dross had gine. Upward trend on a shoestring. In the meantime BD managed 3rd to 6th spending money - bottled playoffs and git himself the sack.

You were not on a shoestring.

Barnsley, Burnley etc are clubs who have been shoestring budgets.

Burbley spent more than us, net transfer spend almost zero. yep not a shoestring. Even the signing this season were Frees and 100k for Forsyth.

Johnny Russell was 750k +

You were not on a shoestring.

Barnsley, Burnley etc are clubs who have been shoestring budgets.

Burbley spent more than us, net transfer spend almost zero. yep not a shoestring. Even the signing this season were Frees and 100k for Forsyth.

Burnley hardly spent any money this season, David Jones, Scott Arfield and Ryan Noble were free transfers i believe.

Burnley then sold Charlie Austin believed to be for 4 million pounds. 

We have spent 750k on Russell, 150k on Forsyth, 250k on Dawkins, we also paid a lot for Adam Smith to come in. 

We sold John Brayford to Cardiff for 1.5 million with add ons, Michael Jacobs for around 300k, Theo Robinson for around 150k and Conor Doyle for less than 100k.

Rough Maths:

Burnley made around 4 million.

Derby made around 1 million.         (However Derby have paid for quite a few loan players so that may lower our profit.)

Archived