Millwall repurcussions

Ramekin

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A THUG who ran on the pitch and pushed former Derby County boss Nigel Clough in front of thousands of fans has been banned from all football matches for three years.

Kaleb Morley, 28, was caught on camera confronting Clough when the Rams faced Millwall away two weeks ago.

The Millwall fan told a court in London that he did it because he was "frustrated" that his team were losing 3-0 at half-time.

The Rams eventually won the match 5-1.

Morley, of New Malden, Surrey, pleaded guilty to one count of encroaching the field of play when he appeared at Bromley Magistrates' Court in south east London.

Morley, dressed smartly in a dark blue suit and who represented himself, said: "I take full responsibility for what happened.

"It was wrong – I know it was wrong.

"As soon as I entered the pitch I know I had made a mistake. I am not blaming alcohol for what happened. I was completely sober.

"I was an alcoholic but I have not had a drink for two years.

"It was a very passionate game. Millwall were losing 3-0 and we'd had a player unfairly sent off.

"The Derby players were wasting time, play acting. I'm not justifying what I did.

"I know it was wrong, but I did hand myself back in two minutes later."

Pleading for magistrate Nigel Dean not to impose a banning order Morley, who has been a season ticket holder at Millwall for 20 years, added: "This was very out of character for me.

"I have been a Millwall season ticket holder for 20 years. I am not a football hooligan.

"I made one grave mistake and I should be punished but I don't believe it is just that I be handed a banning order."

However, Mr Dean said: "I am required to hand you a three-year banning order to reduce the risk of disorder at football matches.

"You have not given a sensible reason why you entered the pitch. You said yourself you don't know why you did it.

"It was extreme behaviour and as such has to be taken seriously."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/year-ban-pitch-invader-pushed-Rams-boss/story-19892321-detail/story.html

Archived